By TheHarvardian - 04/09/2016 05:34 - United States - Boonville

Today, my boss told me that our old manager didn't do my promotion paperwork, so everyone in the department is getting a chance to interview for a job I've been doing for a month. They also expect me to keep doing it at my normal pay rate until they hire someone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 066
You deserved it 842

TheHarvardian tells us more.

Hey guys. I'm the OP. So for everyone saying that I should report this to HR, I would like to, but I can't report it at the local level, since our local HR rep was in the meeting with the manager that announced that he was reopening the interviews. I would imagine that there is someone that I can go to above them, but I am not 100% sure who it is and no one is being particularly forthcoming with information. For the people who think that we should all revolt, as far as I understand, my coworker does want us to go in together on a lawsuit, so that's kind of close.

Top comments

I suggest going to HR for this. Even if the paperwork was not there, there was an executive that made a decision for you to get promoted. I'm sure if HR can contact him and get this straightened out, and you should be able to keep that promotion. Second off, if you've won the promotion the first time, what's stopping you from securing it again, when everyone gets to interview? This would be a worst case scenario plan of action though. Good luck OP!

1. Grab other co-workers who think this is bullcrap and start a revolution. 2.??? 3. Profit!

Comments

1. Grab other co-workers who think this is bullcrap and start a revolution. 2.??? 3. Profit!

Lizzy500 16

Wouldn't 2 be "go on strike"?

I suggest going to HR for this. Even if the paperwork was not there, there was an executive that made a decision for you to get promoted. I'm sure if HR can contact him and get this straightened out, and you should be able to keep that promotion. Second off, if you've won the promotion the first time, what's stopping you from securing it again, when everyone gets to interview? This would be a worst case scenario plan of action though. Good luck OP!

As for the "second"... Maybe this could be a way to slide OP out of the job and someone else in? OP might interview again, kill it, and someone else be selected. We know we've seen that a million times around here in FML land.

When my boyfriend got a promotion at work, it took payroll a few months to adjust for the pay raise even though he was doing the work. Legally they still had to pay him the right amount, so when they got caught up he got the 3 month's difference added on to his regular paycheck.

I've heard stories like this before on FML and it blows my mind that a business would do this to their employee. Obviously it's a clerical error on their side so why wouldn't they correct their own mistake. Sorry OP that blows.

Not necessarily. Op's old supervisor could have deliberately not filled out the paperwork because he would have to pay OP more. So his department is getting the work done for less cost. It's a dick move but I have a feeling that's what happened. Either that or the supervisor is just incompetent.

Start actively hunting for another job right away and demand the salary you were supposed to be getting. If you have another offer letter in hand, when you demand, it makes your point a lot stronger and they will probably give you more than the offer.

The worst thing you can do is to threaten them. They never forget. What often happens is they give you the job, you turn down the other job, you get fired. Now you have neither job. If you are going to quit, just do it. Sounds like you'd be better off.

You should be a shoo-in for that job if you keep it together.

If I were you OP, id go ahead and put in my 2 week notice and tell them why. when they come back to try and keep you tell them you want the position you were told you were going to get plus the raise that goes with it. if they don't want to do that, then that company is not worth staying at.

ApparentlyNotEno 28

Why give them notice? They've already disrespected and mistreated OP; giving notice is a courtesy one extends to an employer, and is never required. And I think the employer has already shown what they think of courtesy.