By Ferniferousfern - 02/03/2018 15:00

Today, I went to the dentist for a tooth extraction. Not only were they not able to extract all of it, but after 7 injections, I was still screaming. The best part? Their referral to someone else fell through, so I head back tomorrow to finish the job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 921
You deserved it 330

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If the problem was that bad, they should have sedated you. What the heck is wrong with that place? I've had extractions twice in my life, my wisdom teeth when I was a teenager and an emergency extraction about five years ago, and in both cases, I was sedated. For my wisdom teeth, they were so badly impacted (yeah, I saw the x-rays; they were horizontal in my jaw) that I had to be sedated and for my emergency extraction, I had an infection, so I had to be sedated. Hope you're doing okay after your two nightmare visits.

EnvyMe33 26

You would be crazy if you go back to that dentist. He probably got his dentistry license from a Cracker Jack box.

Comments

If the problem was that bad, they should have sedated you. What the heck is wrong with that place? I've had extractions twice in my life, my wisdom teeth when I was a teenager and an emergency extraction about five years ago, and in both cases, I was sedated. For my wisdom teeth, they were so badly impacted (yeah, I saw the x-rays; they were horizontal in my jaw) that I had to be sedated and for my emergency extraction, I had an infection, so I had to be sedated. Hope you're doing okay after your two nightmare visits.

I'm about to have a tooth extracted; they're going to be using local. There are reasons folks don't opt for sedation, complications being one of them. In my case, I'm breastfeeding. Local = still get to give kiddo my milk; sedation = pump and dump.

OP again. I had mentioned to them that I would've preferred sedation, but they said I didn't need it since beforehand I'd thought I was feeling numb enough(though, in retrospect, it was only numb-ish for a few minutes). I've never been sedated before so they probably just thought it wasn't worth the risk? Idk. Thankfully they referred me to somewhere else--not local, but more specialized and might still take my insurance--for my next extraction and I am going to literally beg them to put me out.

psycobunnymamafox 13

Actually when it comes to sadation you don't actually have to pump and dump just wait 3-5 hours and you can feed (my brothers a doctor) same with alcohol just wait a few hours all pumping and dumping does is aggravates the boobs there is no medical proof that pumping and dumping does anything

Run, Forrest, run! They can’t make you return to their Fifty Shades Torture Room. Just get your ass to a dentist who knows what the **** they’re doing with anesthesia!

EnvyMe33 26

You would be crazy if you go back to that dentist. He probably got his dentistry license from a Cracker Jack box.

Good thing They didn't sedate you. They would have pulled the wrong one.

I had 4 wisdom teeth extracted in one sitting. That shit hurts!

OP here. This was the state-run dental clinic in my area, and the extraction was following a huge infection in the tooth that had previously caused massive swelling--we're talking, no exaggeration, a softball-sized lump on my jaw that had sent me to the ER. By this point, I had been on antibiotics a couple weeks and the swelling was down to maybe satsuma-sized, but they did warn me there was a very slight chance that the injected anesthetic(they didn't say what it was) wouldn't be able to penetrate the infection. The last 2/4 roots the dentist got on the finishing visit were much easier, though, as they injected more initially and into slightly different spots. They did give me a couple days of strong painkiller at least, too, although immediately following I had lost the prescription sheet in the rain on my way home and had to go back for a new one. By now(this was a few weeks ago) though, things are mistly back to normal, although my jaw is not as straight as it used to be and I now know why people fear the dentist.

Poor you; I hope you're better now. You might have a tooth nerve in a different place than usual. I know people like that; they sweat at the mere thought of a dentist, since the tooth professional usually inject the place where they think the nerve is according to what they learned at school. Some of them actually verify where the nerve is before injecting, if you explain your predicament to them.

SwordSlashBlade 13

Why in the world would you go back to the same dentist? Is the dentist office under a bridge?