By housemate from hell - 04/09/2018 21:30 - Australia

Today, I told my housemate I was moving out, giving 5 weeks notice. She decided she’d move out too and told the landlord, who gave us 2 weeks notice. I have to pack a house worth of stuff while working full time. She's a uni student who owns a bed and two bookshelves. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 580
You deserved it 330

Top comments

Talk to your landlord about it. They may extend your time.

In Australia this would be illegal unless you were on a fixed-term lease and you had breached the terms of the lease in some way. The minimum notice is normally 30 or 90 days, depending on the nature of the termination (no-grounds termination or sale of property) and lease (fixed-term or periodic). Check your rights.

Comments

Guess who gets to pack your stuff while you're at work.

julfunky 29

No one? It doesn’t matter how much it sucks, it’s not the roommate’s responsibility.

But it is the roommate’s fault OP lost 3 weeks of packing time.

Talk to your landlord about it. They may extend your time.

In Australia this would be illegal unless you were on a fixed-term lease and you had breached the terms of the lease in some way. The minimum notice is normally 30 or 90 days, depending on the nature of the termination (no-grounds termination or sale of property) and lease (fixed-term or periodic). Check your rights.

Tennants can break lease whenever, however if there are no parties remaining on the lease they may be liable for rent until the property is leased again (or the end of their lease term whichever is earlier) and advertising costs... provided the landlord makes reasonable effort to release it. Also, if the first person lodged paperwork to vacate which the other person signed with the applicable noticed period.. they might have grounds for recourse as the 3 week cut from the notice period might be seen as spiteful eviction, plus i swear both sides needed to give the same notice period. But again, varies a lot between states so without knowing that and if it is even is a formal lease or periodic or share house, no idea, can't really say much more.

In most US states they have to give you either 30 or 60 days call a lawyer

As nice as it is to give an extended notice, I don’t. I give the minimum legally possible so that I don’t get ****** over. Too many people out there that will be nice to your face, and then **** you over as soon as you’re not benefiting them.