This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Anonymous - 04/11/2017 18:00

Today, while visiting family with my 3-year-old daughter for Halloween, I was berated, called a feminazi, and barred from all further family functions. Why? I dressed my daughter up as Batgirl instead of a princess. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 054
You deserved it 321

Top comments

ohsnapword 21

How dare you! Now go out and buy her an Easy Bake Oven and make sure she understands her role as a woman in 1950's America.

They're just using that as an excuse OP- most extended families have one nuclear family that they gang up on and mistreat. You are honestly better off without them.

Comments

They're just using that as an excuse OP- most extended families have one nuclear family that they gang up on and mistreat. You are honestly better off without them.

ohsnapword 21

How dare you! Now go out and buy her an Easy Bake Oven and make sure she understands her role as a woman in 1950's America.

Shit, does this mean I can’t buy an easy bake oven for my kids without looking like an uber-conservative? I used to love that thing growing up.

But what if the OP has a son and he starts using it too? Then we're right back where we started. Clearly the daughter should just be sold off for a few goats right now.

exileonmainst 16

So that’s my out for all future family functions! Thanks OP, great advice!

You should know your family — you shoulda dressed up your kid in an Ann Coulter costume.

Especially, the giant Adam’s Apple that’s nothing but a prosthetic goiter.

OP - I am sorry that your extended family is so dysfunctional. Sadly sometimes we discover just how ignorant, prejudiced, and dysfunctional certain members of our extended are. Stick to your convictions and break the cycle of ignorance and stupidity with how you raise and teach your daughter. Do not needlessly expose her or yourself to more of their abuse.

Zachary8261 28

1 good thing came out of this. You don’t have to invite them to anymore of family functions you’re hosting.

Your family are a bunch of asshole. Why would they treat you like that! If your 3 year left want to be batgirl then good for her. I hope she got lots of candy

This is overreactive and stupid. I think it’s great she wanted to be a superhero instead of the traditional princess. I’d be proud if I had a daughter and she wanted to do the same. Keep on keeping on OP!

With Belle, Mulan, and Merida being special exceptions that are able to stand up for themselves and fight as well as, especially in Belle's case, highly intelligent, princesses suck. Superhero is the way to go - Especially the female superheroes because they're harder to see, I feel like, than the male superheroes.