By atalose - 06/03/2017 07:00 - United States - North Las Vegas

Today, my college professor said that anyone who misses the final next week automatically fails, "even if their grandmother died." My grandmother, the woman who raised me, died last night and her funeral is next week. Same day as the final. Across the country. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 520
You deserved it 370

Same thing different taste

Top comments

LavenderCrow 12

Talk to the Dean and see if there's something you can't do to either take the final early, or provide proof of death (like a copy of the death certificate) so they know you're not lying and take your final later. Funerals are an important part of the grieving process, so if I were you, I wouldn't miss it. You can always retake the class, you cannot have another funeral. I'm very sorry for your loss, OP.

Ask if you can take it on another day, if he refuses go up the chain.

Comments

Ask if you can take it on another day, if he refuses go up the chain.

LavenderCrow 12

Talk to the Dean and see if there's something you can't do to either take the final early, or provide proof of death (like a copy of the death certificate) so they know you're not lying and take your final later. Funerals are an important part of the grieving process, so if I were you, I wouldn't miss it. You can always retake the class, you cannot have another funeral. I'm very sorry for your loss, OP.

That's...some BS. Email your teacher, the department chair, dean, etc a copy of the obituary.

ozziespots 14

ask if you can do it sooner, don't miss her funeral

Drop the class and properly mourn your grandma. Bring able to complete the grieving process is more important than one dumb class.

writergirl1029 17

Usually if you approach your professors and ask to take exams early, rather than late, they're willing to work with you.

tigak47 0

Your professor can't fail you for a university-excused absence. Show him the obit/funeral schedule and ask if you can take it early. As another poster said, if he refuses absolutely take it up the chain of command. I'm so sorry for your loss, your grandmother must've been a wonderful person :(

This is where you need to start taking it over professor head. Say I am prepared to take exam on such and such date before I leave for funeral but professor Brown is unwilling to work with me. Go to the department head, then keep working your way up to the Dean. Is there anybody in Student Services that can help you/ advocate for you?