By WellThere'sThat - 26/11/2017 15:00

Today, I got a big math test back. Good news: I can connect abstract ideas beyond what was taught. Bad news: I can’t do simple math, such as 30/-5. I failed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 019
You deserved it 848

Same thing different taste

Top comments

“…I most therefore conclude that, given some quantity of energy, it can be equated to the product of mass and the speed of light raised to the second power. In other words, E=mc². Anyway, back to the original question: 30/–5 = purple”

I’m sure you’ll land a job paying more than $100,000i a year!

Comments

You call "simple math" dividing a positive number by a negative one?

Gee, I'm sorry, I only learned that with my algebra. Simple math was more like "numbers begin with zero. If you get less than zero, your answer is wrong".

gee glad to know you are a donkey(a polite word for the one I wanted to use) in the UK where bethany is from basic maths is i believe anything under calculus which includes aglebra

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

In Austria anything that doesn't involve integrals and shit like that is basic

Dividing by a negative number is easy. It just makes the answer negative. What’s not simple about that?

You might remember that being fresh out of high school Bethany, but 15 years in the workforce in accounting and programming, I had to have a good think about how to divide by a negative, because nobody uses that logic in the real world and if you did, you'd have software give you the answer. You shouldn't be so high n mighty about something fresh in your memory. Someone who can connect abstract ideas is clearly intelligent, the smartest maths minds often overlook the simple.

I left school almost 10 years ago and still remember it...

Seeing as I’m from the UK I’m not ‘fresh out of high school’ because we don’t have high school. It’s called secondary school. I haven’t studied maths in 4 years. Don’t see how that’s acting ‘high and mighty’

That is totally me!!!!!!! Things like this is the reason for my username, people, not my actual intellectual ability. Anyways, a little advice for OP: Always keep track of what you're doing. It really helps.

“…I most therefore conclude that, given some quantity of energy, it can be equated to the product of mass and the speed of light raised to the second power. In other words, E=mc². Anyway, back to the original question: 30/–5 = purple”

I’m sure you’ll land a job paying more than $100,000i a year!

I did, $110K here, as a Financial Systems Analyst (and good at it), with no school diploma or qualifications, and I couldn't get that equation. Why can't they too again? Analytical skills trumps simple maths any day. You're force fed to believe in the school system's cookie cutter syllabus as a measure of intelligence.

Oh, dear, you missed the joke. You see, the “i” after the dollars amount is the imaginary unit (the square root of negative one) suggesting that the OP would get paid in imaginary dollars. People with a decent high-school math(s) background appreciated that joke.

Nah, you're just being smug as per history, passing it off as humor. You're still implying that the 100 is not achievable because it's imaginary and unobtainable. Same same. INSERT INTO RESPONSE select 'I_get_jokes_too_meme.jpg'

kansas_girl03 13

I always wonder why people write their results as comments under stuff like this. Do you want to show how smart you are that you solved this huge mathematical problem? I mean this doesn't even need any discussion. It wouldn't be an FML if this wasn't something every person over the age of 9 should know.

kansas_girl03 13

Just ******* replying geez take a chill pill. I haven’t done this kind of math in a long time so just seeing if anyone else got the same thing. ****

GIJoefan 6

Even Einstein had issues with basic arithmetic.

kujiens101 24

That’s actually a myth. If you read his book “Reality” he explains how when he was in geometry, I think it was his 8th grade, he identified a fundamental misconception of the geometry at the time and he was proven right 20 years later

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

Good news: the simple math can be done via calculator

Helpful hint for the future. A negative multiplied by a negative will always result in a positive. A positive multiplied by a negative will always be a negative. A positive multiplied by a positive is always a positive. So just apply that logic when dividing. 30/-5 would automatically give you the answer of -6, because the other options are automatically ruled out. Hope this helps if you have a make-up test OP, or if anyone else has trouble.

A shortened version of that- in multiplication and division, an odd number of negatives will equal a negative. An even number of negatives will equal a positive.

Eh, not unusual. I can do most math fine, except division. No matter how it's taught it just doesn't seem to work in my head. Reverse multiplication my ass.

By "abstract ideas", do you mean "taking acid"? That would explain the test score...