By damn it dad! - 08/08/2018 12:00 - Philippines - Paranaque

Today, the creepy guy at school that won't take "no" for an answer came over with his parents to talk about marriage. My dad knows about this creep and said he'd cast them out, but things didn't turn out as I hoped. Apparently, part of the dowry is a Ferrari. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 273
You deserved it 208

Top comments

there are charities that help people who are about to be forcibly married

Comments

your life sucks so much if you don't get a say!!!

there are charities that help people who are about to be forcibly married

joseph 5

Well you should be happy that you’re worth a Ferrari to someone. But still yea your life sucks if your dad sold you off for a car.

No, it shouldn’t make her happy. She’s being treated like an object to be bought by a creep. It’s like telling women catcalling is a compliment. It’s ******* not.

Hew dad is selling her off “with” a car, not “for” a car. Dowry assuemes that a girl is a burden, and for a father has to pay the groom to transfer the burden of his daughter on to the groom. FYL, OP. I fervently hope that the wedding does not go through.

Zekfen 17

If you people would stop assuming you know everything and perhaps look at her country of origin and read a little bit: you would actually learn something, from the Wikipedia on Philippines Courtship. The dowry, as a norm in the Philippines, is provided by the groom's family.[4] For the Filipino people, marriage is a union of two families, not just of two persons. Therefore, marrying well "enhances the good name" of both families.

Nope. For a car. And the fml wouldn’t make sense any other way.

tounces7 27

My ex is actually from Manila, and this is by no means the norm over there even among the wealthy....

So is her dad if he really is considering this because of a Ferrari...

****, Nice Guys are starting to kick up their game... Get out of there, move out of the country if you have to honey! Those bastards are relentless!

I'm not sure what this has to do with "nice guys".

And I’m guessing your true love has a goat and a chicken? Marry the Ferrari creep and keep goat boy as your side piece.

zeffra13 31

I think you meant dower? A dowry is what the bride’s family gives the groom. Unless your dad is trying to send you away in style?

boopingsnoot 24

Different cultures do dowries differently. It’s usually the groom’s family “buying” the bride from her family.

Ishvah 15

No, a dower is for if she outlives her husband.

Zekfen 17

From the Wikipedia article on Philippine Courtship: The dowry, as a norm in the Philippines, is provided by the groom's family.[4] For the Filipino people, marriage is a union of two families, not just of two persons. Therefore, marrying well "enhances the good name" of both families.

Redgy22 26

THAT'S what you have a problem with??? Terminology.??

boopingsnoot 24

Tell your dad that HE can sleep with the creep, if he likes the family so much. You’d rather sleep in the garage with the Ferrari.

psycobunnymamafox 13

Did you guys fail to notice the country she lives in this is sadly still commonplace

bl3ur0z3 17

So your father is giving the creepy boy a Ferrari to marry you? Because that's how a dowry works.

It’s called a bride price. It predates written record. But hey, why would she know her life 🙄

That is the best example os mansplaing that I have seen

There are already several comments explaining how dowry works in the Philippines. You should read before you post!