By Anonymous - 04/07/2014 19:04 - Netherlands

Today, on my first day as a lifeguard, a man had a heart attack in the pool. I jumped in, pulled him out, and even went to the hospital with him. He seemed genuinely offended, saying "You should've let me die." FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 937
You deserved it 3 434

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You possibly saved a life. That's pretty awesome, even if he didn't throw you a parade after...

Don't take it to heart. You did good OP.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It seems you still dont understand what the value of life is whether it's yours or not.

Today I had a heart attack in a pool and died because the lifeguard didn't give a crap about me. FML

You possibly saved a life. That's pretty awesome, even if he didn't throw you a parade after...

Roskosity 22

I agree. So cool. But if he was conscious, you obtained consent, right? Because otherwise you could be sued real hard.

There's a thing called the Good Samaritan law, op can't be sued

nurchok 15

It doesn't work in the US apparently :) And a small correction, OP CAN be sued, but he/she has a 99.999999999% chance of winning and not being charged if he/she acted within the level of training...

#51 The Good Samaritan Law works only in the event that you don't have a "duty to act". As a lifeguard, if you are on duty, you have a duty to act and can be sued for criminal negligence if you do not do what you have to do, or if you do it incorrectly. You also CANNOT help a person who doesn't give you their consent (assuming they're in a position to do so I.e. Not unconscious or mentally incapacitated, or a child) Also, to 49, if the person said "you should have let me die" at the hospital, it's more than likely they were unconscious, in which case, consent is implied.

Possibly? pretty sure if you have a heart attack in the pool, you're going to die. and he saved him. yeas, he saved a life.

Don't take it to heart. You did good OP.

thee_most_dope 30

Sometimes you just cant win..you did the right thing though, op!

No good deed goes unpunished. Still, I imagine at least his family are grateful.

As long as you did the right thing is all that really matters. Be proud of yourself, anyway. That guy has problems of his own.

Life guard=guards life you did the right thing OP don't take it personally

You did well for your first day, even if the man whose life you saved doesn't appreciate it, I'm sure his family and friends do :)

Why!? I suffer from severe depression but still have friends and family.

Sam_A16_ 6

Although it's a possibility, it doesn't matter unless someone else there knows about the DNR and can provide a physical copy on the spot. Also, it has to be signed by a doctor, can't be expired, oh! And if that person has given someone else power of attorney, that can trump their DNR, even if it is valid. *sigh* DNRs are a nightmare for emergency responders, because of the legal implications surrounding it.

skyttlz 32

I'm a bit unsure as to why some people are DNR.. If I could have saved them but they had a DNR it wouldn't feel right to just ignore them. And if I found out they died and it could have been prevented, I wouldn't be able to not feel at least a bit guilty.

#66, DNRs are for people who have been diagnosed with something terminal and have less than a year left. Those that choose to have one typically do it because they don't want their suffering prolonged unnecessarily.