By notgay - 25/12/2009 19:34 - United States

Today, my entire extended family was over for Christmas. I opened a gift to see that it was a fruitcake and saw everyone looking at me, smiling. This is their way to tell me that they know I'm gay and that they accept me. I'm straight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 974
You deserved it 3 796

Same thing different taste

Top comments

O_o why are you complaining? You have a loving family that accepts you and encourages you to be yourself! Feel lucky!

Am I the only one who doesn't get how giving someone a fruitcake means that you think they're gay?

Comments

O_o why are you complaining? You have a loving family that accepts you and encourages you to be yourself! Feel lucky!

Reyo 2

One problem: THEY THINK HE'S SOMETHING HE'S NOT. How would you feel if your family was convinced that you were a homosexual? Huh? How would that feel? Your mother saying "It's ok, It's perfectly normal" as she sobs uncontrollably and your Dad drinking it away with the Jager I got him for Christmas I DIDN'T KNOW SHE WAS A HE GOD DAMNIT!

Hmm, I really do understand you're embarrassed, but here are two things to console you. Firstly, your entire family loves and accepts you enough to accept whatever you may be (however misguided) - and they have a sense of humor about it. There are thousands of people in the world who would trade anything for that. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with being homosexual - so don't take it as an insult. Yes, I realize that the people you love think that you're something that you're not, and that hurts. But, what is it about you that made them think that? Which particular stereotype(s) did they choose? Perhaps was something that a lot of people would think is a good quality in general (particularly women) - cleanliness, good sense about clothing and hygiene, or good conversation skills, artistic ability, etc? None of those things is bad... and a lot of women are desperate for a guy who keeps himself and his surroundings neat and is actually willing to hold a conversation!

^ Over-analytic much? I'm pretty sure real gay people don't like being called "fruity" and giving him a fruitcake kind of says "fruity." So, either way, it can be taken as an insult.

dudeitsdanny 9

I really don't think the FML was about being considered "fruity." Anywhoooo.... Most people assume I'm gay. No idea why. At LEAST bisexual. Again, no idea why. I'm straight. I started taking it as a compliment about a year ago, and it's worked out pretty well for me.

I would take an accepting family who thinks I'm something I'm not than a close-minded family any day.

He's complaining because he's NOT gay, maybe? O_O

girlygirl666 0

....Or, it could just be that Nobody likes fruitcake= Nobody likes you. Maybe that's what you were supposed to get from that gift.

bdrodd 0

yea, the same with me, but it goes away, especially if you get a girlfriend

manymany 0

Even if you were gay, that's a downright insult. =_=

@36: if that helps your guilty conscience sleep at night, then dream on.

wow umm well in case you change your mind at least you know they will accept you XD

lives_ppl 0

Aww I love your family. It's almost a bad thing that you're straight now... XD

the_raf 0
indydegrees1 0

I get joked on by my family all the time about my sex life (or lack thereof), and I gotta say, if your family wasn't just making a bad joke, FYL indeed, op. The appropriate response is to find some male member of your extended family (not blood... an in-law preferably), and pretend to hit on them. At some point, break the truth to your family, and remind them not to make assumptions, because it can be quite awkward. For everyone.

doof_fisch 2

tee-hee You said "male member" and "extended" in the same sentence!