By great_just_great - 24/02/2013 05:48 - New Zealand - Auckland

Today, my boyfriend of almost six years asked me to move in with him. I assumed he meant that he was finally moving out of his parents' house and had found a place for us to live. No, it turns out he means he wants me to move in with him at his parents' place. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 891
You deserved it 5 891

great_just_great tells us more.

Hey everyone.. Just to let you know, he's 36 and I'm 29. I moved in for about two weeks but found I couldn't handle it. We've broken up and to be honest, I'm kind of glad this all happened; it helped me work out that he was all wrong for me.

Top comments

oj101 33

Free food, no housework or bills. Sounds like a win to me.

Good God almighty he's 36? Man, you probably did good there.

Comments

oj101 33

Free food, no housework or bills. Sounds like a win to me.

She'd probably have to do SOME housework.

Or his mom would want her to do ALL the cleaning and cooking.

Still... No rent or bills? I would take housework any day...

Maybe he really wants to move in with you but haven't been able to find his own place yet, so he suggested that as a temporary solution? You can live there and at the same time search for your own place together. Maybe you should try it out, OP. However, if he just doesn't want to leave his parents' house then you should sit down and talk with him. Be honest! I hope you can work it out, good luck!

Op is your boyfriend a mommy's boy? I wonder how the parents feel about this...

oj101 33

Or maybe they've been going out since 15/16 and the boyfriend is still living with his parents at 21 which is a reasonable age - most likely college students.

"move out when you grow up" is american thing and OP is not from USA. In some cultures children continue living with their parents.

Indeed # 15, but with this economy it's hard to even get a job let alone move out. You can't blame her boyfriend for playing it safe.

I wonder what you all think now that OP has revealed she is in her 20's and he is 36?

Hahaha welcome to practically every Indian woman's life.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Uncalled for. You should be moderated. Guards!! Remove this woman.

What a low blow 8. There's a special spot in India reserved for women like you!

#8 I hope they moderate your insensitive comment. It is an insult to both Indians and rape victims.

Bostern 29

It was just a joke guys, a tasteless one, but not something to be taken too seriously.

#22 - I disagree. There are some things that just shouldn't be joked about.

Wizardo 33

#8- Firstly what a stupid comment, its not the first of its kind I've seen of it either. The preconception that Asians and Middle Easteners rape young girls is very ignorant. IMO it stems from the fact that in the earlier centuries the age on consent and for marriage was 12/13, and yes some backward countries still follow this. But to generalise a whole country and culture for the practise of a few is ignorant to say the least, education and an open mind is essential if you don't want to be stuck a douchebag forever -___-

I'm surprised #8 comment hasn't been moderated yet... That was awful

That is totally uncalled for. It shows poorly on you, not Indians.

You guys arent commenting on 8 there is no 8

yoursucklives 36

32) that's because that comment has been deleted.

Which is very impressive. It's worse than being moderated even if the poster deleted it - someone tried to wipe it off the 'net.

It's the internet. Shit gets said by keyboard warriors everywhere. Deal with it. Free speech right?

I'm sure a lot of us are wondering, what did 8 say? O.o

If only I was here earlier :c I would know what 8 said.

34, That's not very impressive. FML staff sometimes randomly delete comments (completely silently, by the way). Even if those comments contain no offensive words, no swearing, even if they're well though-out and even if they were upvoted. I'm not sure if that's staff fault or if there's programming error somewhere, but it happens sometimes. COmment #8 was a rape joke, by the way. Maybe it had it coming. Still wiping it out completely doesn't look right to me. "comment has been moderated" was much better.

vadaaa 11

Maybe suggest to him that you guys get your own place? Communication OP. Let him know what you want, even if its something you think he should already.

It's petter to be a family guy than being alone. Especially since the American economy has reached one of the louis-t points in the 21st century. At this point, they're lucky that they don't have to eat rock stew- ie is smarter than you think. I mean I wouldn't mind living with my parents for a while since brian' a house or renting an apartment is difficult. And all of these condescending comments are megan' me crazy! Was that too much?

Jesus Chris-t, I forgot to mention the last one! What was his name again? Oh well, as I was saying, you got to be gr- effin' kidding me if no one is finding an upside to this FML.

“the bathroom situation gets dicey and we have to have a very tight sex schedule that has to still remain silent. other then that, it's like we live alone!"

Made my night! I used to see a guy who lived with his parents, things got a bit loud one night then I ran into his dad at the shops. He said "So, sounds like you had a good night!" Needless to say things got very awkward.

my girlfriend's brother has the room right next to hers, so as a courtesy I don't do anything in their house. but that doesn't stop him from loudly boinking his loud girlfriend right next to his sister's room! ahh family stinks sometimes

@39 As long as his girlfriend isnt Your sister ;-)

oj101 33

#10 - most houses have at least 2/3 bathrooms...

AllThingsBright_ 11
KareBear7364 5

maybe you should move in with him and his parents, and then that way you guys can save up to get a place of your own.

The idea of living under the rules of someone else's parents sounds horrifying to me. OP can still save up money whether she's living with her boyfriend's parents or living with her own parents.

My boyfriend and his dad are living with his grandma so his dad can afford their own place. The rules aren't the most convenient, but they need to get back on their feet. I don't understand why someone else's rules would be horrifying to you.

I guess it depends on what sort of parents OP's boyfriend has and how old the OP is. But from my experience, living with my own parents past the "normal" moving-out age was hard enough. I couldn't imagine living under the rules of someone else's parents. I like having my independence. It sounds like OP wants to live with her boyfriend in their own house, so I'm guessing they're old enough to move out and/or have enough money to move. It sounds like she wants that independence and to move onto the next stage in life, yet her boyfriend wants to (presumably) take the easy road by having his parents look after him AND live with his girlfriend. Which rarely ends well.

my and my fiance moved in with his parents for 4 months after finishing uni. yes, it's not ideal but as long as the parents don't object there should be no problem. it allows you to live together whilst saving up for a place of your own. as for these people saying 'no rent, housework or bills', i would think out of common courtesy you'd offer to help around the house. i washed up every night and cooked once a week, as well as offering to pay for food whenever they went shopping. moving in with someone else's parents and not expecting to lift a finger is disgusting to me

I surely hope your boyfriend is not like 30 years old. Those guys are pathetic.