By wandering_soul - 23/09/2015 18:44 - United States

Today, my boss interviewed a prospective employee, my ex-girlfriend. My psycho ex, a kleptomaniac, thinks she's qualified to be a Security Guard. Her background check agrees. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 643
You deserved it 1 519

wandering_soul tells us more.

OP here! Seeing how the background check was clear, I guess the year and a half she spent locked up in an asylum was sealed. She's genuinely psychotic, and it's not some bad breakup kind of hate. As for the job, she was denied based on the results of her MMPI(a psych evaluation test), which were not disclosed. When I applied, I hated that thing, but now I'm kinda glad we have to take it.

Top comments

Maybe she is a psycho or a kleptomaniac, or maybe she passed the background check because she genuinely deserved to. Just because you had a bad experience with her doesn't mean she doesn't deserve a chance at a job. Of course if you're right then the company will find out soon enough and sack her!

Well if she checks out then that's a tough one, but maybe talk to your boss and even HR and see what you can do to either find someone better suited, or to ensure that you at least won't have to deal with her? Sorry for your luck, OP.

Comments

What does the right to bear arms have to do with this?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

The second amendment doesn't control backround checks so not really relevant.. plus they can only go so far, if she's never been arrested or been admitted to a psychiatric hospital, how are they supposed to know?

TheDoctor10 28

100% pro-gun, but this makes no sense here.

refering to the background check they do before letting you buy a weapin im assuming?

Not all security guards carry guns, either. I've seen guards at museums, malls, schools, hospitals, all without guns. Background checks aren't just for gun handling. Some jobs require them for employment. I can't even tell you how many background checks and fingerprint scans I've had done. If I ever commit a crime, they'll have no trouble finding me...

I thought at first you were trying to say he should get a gun, which would make more sense. but this does not

FieldLeftBlank 20

#16, are you implying that there are background checks required for gun handling? Because I'm more under the impression that they're handed out like sweets on the other side of the pond.

I think you need to relearn the amendments.

#16 For the record, i am a security officer. I am not an armed officer because the slight pay raise isnt enough to justify the potential situation. I generally work at factories and smaller events where the clients dont pay the armed fee. I intend to get my concealed carry permit, but i will not register as an armed officer due to issues with the company. #29 Please tell me you are a troll. In the US you have to fill out a 4473, aka federal background check, for all firearms purchases. Depending on your state, and the type of firearm you are buying, you also have other permits and checks to go through. When i lived in ND i walked into a sporting goods store, filled out the 4473, walked around the store while i waited for them to clear me, then walked out with a $400 lighter wallet and rifle in the box in hand. Few years later I moved to MN. On a thursday I bought a pistol from a store in ND. They would not sell it to me until i passed the 4473.I paid to have it transfered to a licensed dealer in MN, then had to wait over the weekend because my pistol purchase permit had expired. Tuesday i had to leave work early to pick up my permit, drove 20 minutes to pick up my pistol, then filled out another 4473 to receive my pistol after i showed them my permit i had received 30 minutes earlier from the sheriffs office.I went through 3 background checks to obtain that pistol. Granted, I purchased another pistol from a friend a year later, and i only had to complete 1 background check at the licensed dealer. I wanted to do the transfer legally. Please tell me of this land where pistols are legally handed out like candy. i might look into moving there.

29-- I wasn't implying anything. I said there are many jobs that require background checks for employment and it would make sense for security guards to have the routine checks. #1 seemed to assume the background check was for a gun permit, but it could have been a standard check to clear her for employment. I really don't know anything about gun buying-- but I'm familiar with routine background checks for employment.

wow you should brush up on your amendments.

TheEpicKitten 20

Good luck and put a chain on your wallet

castleofg1ass 19

Time to find a new job, of even file for a restraining order is she is as psych as you say she is...

Or you know deal with it like an adult. Then when she's caught stealing or breaking the rules you get yo say I told you so haha.

Saying "I told you so" is the opposite of acting like an adult.

saying I told u so wasnt the adult part. it was a two step program. Step one deal with it like an adult and wait for the mistake. step two act childish and say I told you so.

Well if she checks out then that's a tough one, but maybe talk to your boss and even HR and see what you can do to either find someone better suited, or to ensure that you at least won't have to deal with her? Sorry for your luck, OP.

I feel like suggesting a psych evaluation would go just fine if you managed to convince the boss it was necessary. the easiest way to do that in all honesty is convince the boss she's got creepy plan for him. haha

So, all you can do is calmly, briefly and sincerely express concerns to Boss/HR. It likely won't make much difference. Oh, and start looking for a new job immediately, in case they hire her.

Just try to keep your distance from her and you should be fine OP

Maybe she is a psycho or a kleptomaniac, or maybe she passed the background check because she genuinely deserved to. Just because you had a bad experience with her doesn't mean she doesn't deserve a chance at a job. Of course if you're right then the company will find out soon enough and sack her!

I see your point but having no criminal record or psychiatric record doesn't mean she's a good fit for the job. I have a friend who has gotten in trouble multiple times for stealing money, but continues to lie on her job applications and gets more jobs working the cash register. The cycle just repeats- she steals, gets caught, gets fired (no criminal record), lies and gets a new job, repeat. Someone doesn't get the term kleptomaniac by not being one. OP is in between a rock and a hard place for sure.

But it could also be the case that she isn't a psycho or kleptomaniac. Just because OP accuses her of it doesn't make it true. She may have changed since they split up and be trying to improve her life.

Or she just hasn't been caught stealing anything and has never gotten any help. If neither of those things have occurred then a background check would not be able to bring them up at all so she would pass

If she's psycho then yes OP I right to say to avoid her application. I mean if it were a creepy guy ex then people would swap to the other side of the boat and say to ignore the application immediately.

i hope they don't let her carry weapons..

AnOriginalName 19

I guess you shouldn't make any puns around her.... .... Because she takes everything literally.

I went to a competition for cleptomaniacs, I took first place, third place, runner up, and a few unattended purses.

hide your purse hide your wallet your boss is so dumb for real