By Munch - 12/09/2017 04:00 - Australia - Mordialloc

Today, my short-tempered, alcoholic boyfriend proudly showed me the rifle he bought. This guy regularly swears at his own sneezes and often flies into fits of rage because it's hard to get his shoe on. Time to move out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 291
You deserved it 896

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So you were cool with having an UNARMED, rage-a-holic, alcoholic boyfriend? It's funny that the trigger to finally get you away from this ticking time-bomb is literally a trigger.

boopingsnoot 24

It's not a question of if he'll murder someone, but when. When you break up with him, try to be somewhere public, preferably with big strong friends waiting nearby.

Comments

boopingsnoot 24

It's not a question of if he'll murder someone, but when. When you break up with him, try to be somewhere public, preferably with big strong friends waiting nearby.

DO THIS. Chances are it will save your life. Get enough clothes for a week and any items you can't live without or have huge personal value and put them somewhere he can't access. Get friends or even the police to help you get the rest of your stuff if you have to, just don't break up with him at home.

That doesn't mean he'll stalk her or go to extreme measures to "get her back"--after all, this week a man killed his ex-wife (and seven other people) two months after she filed for divorce. OP can try a restraining order (is that a possibility where she lives), but that doesn't really keep an unhinged stalker away from you. But I agree she should move out and do everything she can to cut off communication with the guy.

I meant "won't stalk her". Really, FML, bring back the edit function.

I recommend this as well. Do it somewhere in public with friends nearby, and better yet, somewhere closer to a police station because when angered, even someone with a small frame can take down several people at once. Like others have said, a restraining order might be necessary, though it could be tough unless there have been signs of domestic violence and whatnot. Be careful after the break up since he can get back at you rather easily, especially if you are at the point where he knows your friends/family, where you work/study, etc. I think you should not come off too strong during the breakup as well. He might take it the wrong way and even if you have to lie and come up with an excuse like it's not him but yourself, do it. A confrontation kind of breakup and telling him he is the reason for it is not a good idea.

Get out of both, the place and this relationship before it's too late.

Lobby_Bee 17

Short tempered, alcoholic, and now a gun owner. You won't want to see these three things mixed together. Time to disappear and stay off the grid for a while.

Zachary8261 28

Do 3 things. 1. Restraining order. 2. Police escort. 3. Lease to another city.

So you were cool with having an UNARMED, rage-a-holic, alcoholic boyfriend? It's funny that the trigger to finally get you away from this ticking time-bomb is literally a trigger.

you've clearly never been in a relationship with someone like that, dickstick

And you are? If so, you are a ******* loser and in no position to judge me.

Your first comment was funny and witty but your second one was upsetting. We don't know the details of these relationships and saying someone is a loser for being in a potentially abusive relationship is unhelpful and I think inaccurate. Saying that does more hurt than good.

Given the description, I'm surprised they even sold him a gun! He shouldn't be allowed to look at one. Leave as soon as you can.

Having purchased several guns, at least in the state of Utah, I can assure you that they only check and ask about criminal background, not if you are an alcoholic or short tempered.

This came from Australia not the US (and as you stated laws can vary from state to State). They have different laws concerning the possession of a firearm. Yes they may not check your mental state (although they should) but to be able to purchase a firearm in australia you need to have a licence and have a genuine reason to have said licence to be able to purchase a firearm and it must be registered. They also have firearm categories. You cannot purchase certain firearms as they are restricted to military use or security agents that require the use of firearms. Although it seems he bought something to use for hunting or sports that might be just as dangerous and deadly.

A short tempered alcoholic owning a rifle sounds like a recipe for disaster. Have a plan before you leave him, call a relative or a friend when he's not around, tell them the situation, and see if you could stay with them for awhile after you dump him for your own safety. Then do what everybody else is saying and dump him in a public place where other people will be around, preferably a shopping mall with a security guard in the vicinity in case things get ugly. Good luck and get out safe.

Move out while he is at work before you dump him! Once you are all moved out either dump by phone or at a public place. Whatever you do, do not do it at home alone.

And you're waiting until NOW to get away from him?

Why don't you just take the Rifle and have the firing pin taken out so it can't fire. I don't know much about gun but make sure the firing pin can be replaced after you 2 break up/ of you guys break up. Or make sure your willing to pay for a new rifle

That's not as easy as it sounds. Besides, there are far easier ways to make a firearm safe.

As I wrote in my post before I don't know about guns I know that they have firing pins that make the gun shoot but that's about it.