By mylifesucks22 - 29/12/2009 06:01 - United States

Today, I woke up from an amazing dream. I dreamt that I got a promotion at work and doubled my income, the dream was so great that I tried so hard not to wake up. When I did wake up it was 10 o'clock, two hours late for work I noticed I had a voicemail from my boss. I was fired for being late. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 571
You deserved it 32 192

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's a wondrous, brilliant new invention called the "alarm clock". They are even integrating it into cell phones nowdays! YDI.

Comments

There's a wondrous, brilliant new invention called the "alarm clock". They are even integrating it into cell phones nowdays! YDI.

Loads of FMLs end in people getting fired over nothing. Can employers really fire people for tiny reasons?

I've never met an employer who wouldn't fire somebody for being two hours late.

I think if you just straight up fired someone for being late in the UK you'd get taken to a tribunal and sued like there's no tomorrow! It would be classed as unfair dismissal.

Flamersplamer 0

pretty much since one, "i was to ill to get out of bed to get to my phone" is all you need to win.

I have unfortunately. Though one guy was fired for having alcohol at work, he was over four hours late on a WEEKEND yet still had his job for the next few months. Many people here are late, and when complained about, get a "ah well" attitude from the supervisor. One person stayed away for "lunch" for FOUR HOURS because "his ride wasn't going back to work" (yet he had a cell phone he could call and tell people this, so someone could come and get him!). He's still employed after about six months or more of that episode. Someone else was two hours late on a weekend and he's still here. Yeah, my employer sucks.

A lot of states in the U.S. allow for employers to fire employees for absolutely no reason. So yes, this could be real... However, from what I've seen, it takes being late many many times before being fired.

You know, most dreams are only about 15 minutes long, even if you perceive them as longer. And you probably didn't have that dream right before work, either.

...dreams are usually 15 minutes long? So what? How does that make the FML fake? He's not saying the dream was two hours long, just that he slept in by two hours.

I don't think it's fake. But it sounded like the OP believed he was having his dream for the two hours he overslept. He could have easily had a 15-minute dream at midnight, and when he woke up it was the only dream he remembered. So the dream probably had nothing to do with his oversleeping.

actually they're only seconds long. the longest recorded was 4 seconds

namhowell 6

I call this bullshit. The OP was either fired for a different reason or this whole FML never happened at all. When you're late and out of touch, they would wait to confront you when they see you next or get a hold of you before firing you. You could have easily been in an accident. Nobody would leave a voice mail saying they notice that you're late, therefore fired!

But technically, we don't know if the OP was late before...

It's not relevant how many times OP was late before. Any company would wait to find out the reason for being late to minimize any potential litigation for wrongful termination and such, especially at a company in which you get a "promotion" to double your "income"...this doesn't sound like an Arby's fry cook. More over, a person on the brink of being fired due to frequent tardiness is NOT going to dream about promotions and is NOT going to intentionally oversleep, if that even makes sense. Another weakass fake FML submitted by a lazy OP.

rosie14 9

@rosie14.. i believe it stands for original poster... so the person who posted the fml... dw it toook me ages to figure it out.

Really? How do you really know that? They could be so full of themselves they think everyone else is late but them. Or think they are the hot stuff at work but aren't. And people WILL fire those with a phone call. I have a feeling the OP was late more often than just that once. Or has messed up at work so much they just said "you're fired".

This must be a YDI. You must have screwed up many times before for the boss to fire you for something as trivial as being late. I mean, what if you'd had a good reason? Your boss would have at least waited to get in contact with you before firing you. So you must have screwed up several times already and this is just the last straw.

Alternately, the boss just said "Unless you're in the hospital, don't bother coming in next week" or something of the sort. The OP didn't exactly post a transcript. My one firing was after dozens of tardies and absenses (I was good... when I was there), though, and done in person.

If we were talking to you on your first day here we would say, "Welcome to planet Earth. There is nothing that you cannot be or do or have. And your work here-your lifetime career-is to seek joy. "As you think thoughts that feel good to you, you will be in harmony with who-you-really-are. And in doing so you will utilize your profound freedom. Seek joy first, and all of the growth that you could ever imagine will come joyously and abundantly unto you."