By Hopper - 03/12/2017 23:00 - United States

Today, I was the only carhop at work for the last 2 hours. In that time, I waited on about 50 cars. I make server pay so I depend on tips, but none of them tipped me even a penny. I averaged under $3 an hour tonight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 627
You deserved it 360

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So that's illegal. If you don't make minimum wage in tips, your employer is on the hook to cover minimum wage for the hours worked. It's ridiculously hard to actually get them to do it and keep your job, but maybe you work for good people. If you do, you could bring that up.

Coming from a former server, the employer is only responsible to ensure that the employee makes at least minimum wage per hour averaged over an entire pay period, not for just one shift.

Comments

So that's illegal. If you don't make minimum wage in tips, your employer is on the hook to cover minimum wage for the hours worked. It's ridiculously hard to actually get them to do it and keep your job, but maybe you work for good people. If you do, you could bring that up.

Coming from a former server, the employer is only responsible to ensure that the employee makes at least minimum wage per hour averaged over an entire pay period, not for just one shift.

TinScarecrow 15

she's still making an average of minimum wage. people who claim to make less are, at best, bending the truth for sympathy

Lobby_Bee 17

Silly girl, they expect you to rummage through the car and whatever spare change you find is your tip.

Why in the world would a carhop actually be inside someone's car?

Mathalamus 24

I would look for a different job. Even a waitress would make more money.

Were you so overwhelmed that you gave everyone slow service?

chubbear 14

Why are you on every whisper with these try hard

chubbear 14

Why are you on every FML with these try-hard comments??

joeyl2008 29

I never realized you were supposed to tip at sonic.

TinScarecrow 15

Sometimes. Sometimes Sonic pays more. It depends on the Sonic

Wait...are you supposed to tip all carhops? Because I'm going to feel like a bit of a jerk since when I go to the local drive-in I usually only had them keep the change.

ohsnapword 21

So, you're telling me that tipping is NOT a city in China?

Oh how i love the countries that refuse tips. Should i tip the sales clerk that went in the back grab me a pair of jeans? Its unfair and wrong. Complain to your boss

I hate dealing with servers sometimes. Most of them (especially the younger ones) are spoiled rotten lil b******. As a veteran former line cook and kitchen supervisor, I've seen it all. but what irked me the most had to be when servers had to help out in the kitchen a little bit. (run a few dish racks, take a couple garbages out, break a cook for a smoke break, etc) when asked they reply snobbishly,"No, i only make 3 dollars an hr." Oh my god! If that was the case how the hell are you living, you poor little thing! The girls learned pretty quick, keeping their ignorant comments about wages to themselves. Cooks, line cooks, dishwashers, sous chefs, prep cooks all pretty much get anywhere from min wage, to average 10.00 an hr if lucky, every single day or night. Except when i go out to eat, ill tip the cook out more then the servers. As a cook I have never left the restaurant with hundreds of dollars, evin after the busiest of services. So the next time your cook asks for a hand rather then popping off at the mouth about 3 dollars an hr, think about tipping him out a few bucks. Cuz while your making in a weekend what that poor guy probly makes in a week, his job is making sure that your smile and his food in conjunction are earning your wages. Without his food your smile isn't worth nothin to much anybody, except probly yo mamma. 3 dollars an hr! Pffffft! When you get a couple hundred bucks in tips I don't think you fish out couple hundred bucks labor now do ya!

I see you have yet to learn about that "keeping your ignorant comments to yourself" thing.

Not one car out of 50 tipped you? I find that hard to believe....

Thorn3359 10

Bruh I didn't even your suppose to tip carhops