By ripped off and blown out - 08/06/2017 00:00

Today, I was driving to visit my parents for the first time in two years. After spending about $4000 to make sure my car wouldn't break down on the journey, around the halfway point, the front tire popped and the engine blew out. I'm about 5 states away from both my parents and my home. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 716
You deserved it 488

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you've spend $4000 on repairs, your car already was dead. You can spend as much as you want on your gravestone, but it ain't gonna bring you back to life!

Not to be rude op, but why didn't you just fly down and pay for a rental car? It would've been a lot cheaper. A bus or train could've worked if you're scared of flying and still would've been cheaper.

Comments

If you've spend $4000 on repairs, your car already was dead. You can spend as much as you want on your gravestone, but it ain't gonna bring you back to life!

circean 5

If you have insurance, and they total it, you can be reimbursed for the parts for which you paid, if it was recently.

imagineapc 11

Which insurance company covers mechanical failure? If OP was in a collision, they might be reimbursed if they had the proper coverage. I have NEVER in my life seen a policy that covers any mechanical failure OR reimburses for repairs you've already had done prior to a collision.

Not to be rude op, but why didn't you just fly down and pay for a rental car? It would've been a lot cheaper. A bus or train could've worked if you're scared of flying and still would've been cheaper.

wcbcrs 3

Maybe they were getting their car repaired so they can use it when they get home as well, as a more reliable mode of transportation (which it turned out not to be) I know in the city I live in city transit is incredibly unreliable. They may not have just been getting it done for the trip to their parents house is my point though. Otherwise I do agree with you that a bus train or plane ticket would have been way cheaper.

voncrane 23

Perhaps OP, like most folks (I'm guilty) has a nice car and enjoys driving it especially for long drives.

Why wouldn't you just buy a plane ticket with all that money when it would end up costing so much to make it possible for your car to make it?

With $4000, you should have made a down payment on a low-mileage used car. Pouring that kind of money into a beater is insane.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Could have gotten another car for that much to start with. Sentimentality is one thing of course but still.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Could have gotten another car for that much to start with. Sentimentality is one thing of course but still.

I'm curious, what did your car need done that cost $4,000?

It's just a tire. Change it out for the spare and keep going.

Nevermind, didn't see the engine blew out with it. That sucks.

A plane ticket round trip is a fraction of the cost. Why would you suffer in a car that long.