By Anonymous - 04/10/2014 10:00 - New Zealand - Christchurch

Today, I told my mom that once I leave school, I want to join the clergy, and how much it meant to me. Her response: "Never knew you wanted to molest kids so much!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 593
You deserved it 8 399

Nonethnx tells us more.

Hi guys, this is OP :) I've come back to give a little update about my life since this FML was posted. So, I wrote this when I was 14 years old, and I am now 17. I have always wanted to have a career helping people. That ideology has never left me, and probably never will. In the past three years, I have partaken in discussions and done my own research, and I have come to the conclusion that religion is not for me. Originally I wanted to be a priest, however I no longer wish to continue down that path. Once I have completed high school, I plan to enter medical school. Doctors Without Borders is the main goal I'm aiming for. The belief that I was put on this earth to help and serve my fellow man, is an ideology that was given to me by religion. This belief has always stuck with me, even though my faith has not. Reading some of the comments on my post, I also wanted to mention that I am gay, and I have never had any conflict between my sexuality and religious beliefs in the past, and to this day, I have not experienced any 'hateful dogma' from the church. The only person who has given me grief was my mother - she has not supported me in the past, and she does not support me now. We get along as friends, but behind her 'funny' FML worthy quips, she can be quite hurtful. Religion provided me with comfort and support when my family did not. These days, I find that same solace in helping others. I don't know if anyone will read this, but if they do, thanks for taking the time to hear my story! If anyone replies, I can only hope that I'll read it and reply before another 3 years has passed. Thanks again! -OP

Top comments

Blebber 4

If you want to join the clergy of the catholic church you are required to go to divinity school and get yourself a theology degree, it works the same for Anglicans, Presbyterians not only require a theology degree but also ask that you get yourself elected by the other elders. So maybe her resistance is because it doesn't work that way OP, unless what you've been studying is theology. P.S:If anyone is wondering why I picked those 3 branches of Christianity: it's because they are the only ones with a real presence in New Zealand.

llamarrama01 21

Guess you have to do it without her support :/.

Comments

I'm sure she was kidding,still it's a cruel thing to hear especially from your mom

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
lb0812 18

A bit ironic as you overtly perpetuate your own dogma of hatred. Love and tolerance goes both ways.

kingdomgirl94 29

Fun fact! Lots of churches are LGBT (and other groups) friendly. One of the churches in my city actually decorates for Pride and they host a big breakfast and not once have they ever tried to use the event to convert people.

If you can hate the sin and not the sinner, i can hate the belief and not the believer. i love everyone, just not their religion

The movie Salvation (out earlier this year) captures this really well. There are plenty of ways to be a good person and help others, but it's almost impossible nowadays to be a good priest, because you are becoming part of a tarnished profession that has damaged so many people, and associating yourself with that in the process.

This is the most brilliant FML ever...and I guess the most awesome mom as well

Fresh out of school.. wouldn't OP get molested?

More people have been murdered in the name of religion than any other cause. Learn from history because it seems religion only truly divides humanity. I'd rethink that game plan if I were you. There are plenty of ways to be a good person and help the world, spreading religion is not one of them.

kingdomgirl94 29

It may not be necessarily spreading religion, he doesn't want to be a missionary. A pastor does good work for the community they're involved with and they organise lots of charity events, give counseling, and in general teach religion to people would already want to learn it (ex: people who are at church). I attended church for a long time before settling on atheism, and the priest was a very kind man and I had no problems with him as a priest or as a person.

Yea, he may have helped his community (and that's great) but supporting religion is just as bad as preaching it. Religion is a crutch for the weak minded, it only slows down societies intellectual growth. Its a big lie that feeds off the fear and insecurities rooted in every human being and only spread so well cause it was one of the first mass distributed books. OP, there are plenty of other ways to make a difference.

I honestly believe that if people didn't fight in the name of religion they would have fought in the name of something else. Wars have also been fought for land, power, resources, and in the name of nationalism yet you don't hear people saying patriotism is a bad thing. I honestly believe that a lot of the time people just used religion as an excuse to hide their true motives behind a seemingly just cause. For example, one of the motives behind colonialism was to spread Christianity but do you think that it's a coincidence that the countries that were colonised tended to have rich, valuable resources like gold, fertile land, and a large, cheap labour force? I think not.

I agree, pp will always find a reason to kill each other, unfortunately that's just life. There is nothing wrong with having pride for where you come from but yes, patriotism to the point of going to war for it is just as bad/moronic as religion, segregation, sexism, power, greed and any other 'cause'. We are all one, its that simple.

Wrong, religion has only caused 7% of all wars. For some reason atheists keep pushing that falsehood though. Most wars have been caused by greedy noble men, Kings and Emperors.

I think it's not called molesting now. The correct term is putting the fear of God in their little behinds.