By Anonymous - 30/09/2009 02:11 - Canada

Today, I received a surprise "absolute final notice" email for payment of an overdue fee from the university I withdrew from 6 months ago. Turns out, my old landlord has been hoarding their letters to me. As a result, my credit is now in the shitter and I had to pay an extra $120 in interest. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 224
You deserved it 2 891

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Isn't it illegal to be hoarding someone's mail? I'm sure there are courts that'll take your case. You can probably make your dumbass landlord pay the fees and the interest.

I'm speechless. What possible reason could your landlord have for hoarding letters? All I imagine is a handmade ship constructed with mail and spit.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

WANNA BE GHETTO TALK? AIN'T YOU EVA HEARD A MR T? HE WAS AROUND BEFORE GHETTO WAS GHETTO! POPULAR CHARACTER FROM THE A TEAM? JESUS HE'S ALSO IN THE SNICKERS BAR ADS! I PITY THE FOOL, WHO'S MAKING ME MAD SUCKA!

googlefrewdnoob 0

The fee isnt 120$ thats the interest fucknugget.

I'm speechless. What possible reason could your landlord have for hoarding letters? All I imagine is a handmade ship constructed with mail and spit.

Isn't it illegal to be hoarding someone's mail? I'm sure there are courts that'll take your case. You can probably make your dumbass landlord pay the fees and the interest.

Exactly, take it up in small claims court and talk to your bank about getting your credit rectified

RubixMonkey 0

Time to move on, man. Time to sail the seas in the spit ship.

You should have made sure they knew you had changed your address. YDI.

why would he tell a university that he doesn't attend that he'd moved?

you always put in a change of address at post office when you move for all of your mail YDI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nyuukou 0

Doesn't mean the post office always forwards the mail. Trust me, I used to work for a post office. I quit after about two months because the incompetence was astounding.

PoeGyrl_fml 0

That totally sucks. But a similar thing happened to my friend. Evidently he had a red light ticket but did not know till he got the final notice and it went to collections. The apt mgr handed it to him. He was so scared he called and paid over phone realizing after apt number was transposed so they been going to wrong apt all along and either resident was trashing or hoarding them or the mgr was. When he called back they said there was nothing they could do he already paid it. Was like 500 with the penalties.

foxandthehen 0

did you leave a forwarding address and tell the unis you had moved? if not its your fault and you owe every penny. its not your land lords job to forward your mail, hes not your mum

nyuukou 0

Even if he told the university he moved and left a forwarding address, that doesn't change the fact that, for whatever reason, someone could have made a clerical error and had it sent to the old address. In which case, it IS the landlord's responsibility to either forward the mail or have it returned to the sender because the OP no longer lives at that address. Especially with computers, this sort of thing happens. I've been waiting on an important book for almost a month now because the first time Amazon sent it, they sent it to an address I haven't used in years and had deleted from the list of addresses to ship to. Don't ask me how they did it. I don't know.

The Landlord's here to visit They're blasting disco down below Sez, "I'm doubling up the rent Cos the building's condemned You're gonna help me buy City Hall" But we can, you know we can But we can, you know we can Let's lynch the landlord man I tell them 'turn on the water' I tell 'em 'turn on the heat' Tells me 'All you ever do is complain' Then they search the place when I'm not here But we can, you know we can Let's lynch the landlord Let's lynch the landlord Let's lynch the landlord man There's rats chewin' up the kitchen Roaches up to my knees Turn the oven on, it smells like Dachau, yeah Til the rain pours thru the ceiling But we can, you know we can Let's lynch the landlord man

If money is a problem then legal aid offices often have tenants workshops etc