By SuperShy - 06/09/2016 04:29 - United States - Massillon

Today, I realized just how shy and awkward I really am when I averted my eyes to avoid making eye contact with someone who turned out to be a cardboard cut-out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 259
You deserved it 2 131

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Uh, that's actually how you avoid getting trapped in the cardboard cutout, so I don't get the FML. After the cardboard cutout uprising, the only humans left will be the socially awkward.

As someone who spent years with severe social anxiety, I feel your pain OP.

Comments

I hate cardboard cutouts of people to begin with. You can never tel if they are a real person at first.

As someone who spent years with severe social anxiety, I feel your pain OP.

Can't let yourself be that way, OP. Meeting new people can be easy if you let it.

If you have social anxiety it's not "easy if you let it" as it is a mental disorder that OP cannot control. That being said meeting new people does help but saying it's easy if you let it is ignorant.

Oh sure, once you get over the ensuing panic attack I'm sure it's just a piece of cake. #3

What's ignorant is giving an excuse to something you can control. Last time I checked, you control your bodily functions. Not the other way around. If you don't want to have a panic attack, then chill the **** out, take some deep breaths, and do what you need to do. Letting yourself become engulfed by your own emotions is stupid. It's simple psychology.

If it was simple psychology then their would be no one in therapy. I'm afraid I can't control my emotions because I'm not always me when they arise, also my panic attacks are induced by a feeling of loss of control (different personality taking over for example) so I'm afraid that chilling the **** out and breathing deeply just will not help, dear. Maybe you should develop a little thing called empathy and stop being so fricken ignorant of how mental illness works, when it comes to psychology their is no such thing as SIMPLE.

I can't stand how you think you know what you are talking about. If you have not experienced social anxiety, you need to educate yourself. We can't control our "bodily functions" as much as you can't control your ignorance.

I struggled with social anxiety for years myself, so don't act like I haven't experienced it. I used to not even be able to call the pizza place and order. It sucks, yeah, but you have to know in your mind that you are in control. It's your brain, your thoughts, your emotions. We are all people and there shouldn't be any reason to feel "loss of control." You are in control, you just have to realize that. It's not going to happen overnight, but you sure as hell don't need therapy for it. Just reassurance.

That's alright I think they might of been a bit stiff with you anyways

Uh, that's actually how you avoid getting trapped in the cardboard cutout, so I don't get the FML. After the cardboard cutout uprising, the only humans left will be the socially awkward.

So you are saying that cardboard cutouts is like a reversed Weeping Angel? That sucks.. You can't blink but you can't look either.

StiffPvtParts 43

I have the same problem, but for me, it's with mannequins. There's this clothing store in my town and they sometimes like to bring their mannequins outside... and... it always freaks me the f**k out. Anyway, I know how much it sucks, OP. ( ._.)

I don't blame you. Mannequins are scary as shit.

StiffPvtParts 43

I always try to avoid looking. directly at them because they look far too similar to real people and that's just what I'm usued to doing whenever I see actual people xD

I try to avoid looking at them because I know that if I make eye contact, they'll start following me wherever I go.

Best thing to do is to start talking to more people. It's a lot of fun when you get over the shyness. On top of that the Lady friends are also nice. :)

OP is a lady, so based on statistics she probably doesn't want "lady friends".

Yikes, OP. At least you didn't try talking to it.

I can't blame you OP. I once started a staring contest with one of those bastards. I went blind after the third month, but I can still see his smug smile in my head.