By biblepain - 28/03/2015 02:12 - United States - Tucson

Today, I met my girlfriend's parents for the first time. Within minutes, they said I needed to leave. Their reason? Apparently, I was mocking her dad's speech impediment. I also have one but they wouldn't believe me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 294
You deserved it 2 218

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Surely they would have believed your girlfriend? Didn't she mention it?

Why did your girlfriend mention that to her parents???

Comments

Surely they would have believed your girlfriend? Didn't she mention it?

juturnaamo 29

I have a stutter which is mostly under control but which becomes more pronounced around other people who stutter. Maybe OP's speech problem manifests similarly.

Or perhaps when under stress. I can see how this would be a stressful situation

Why did your girlfriend mention that to her parents???

Because then we wouldn't have something to laugh at when someone says something beyond stupid.

therealjc_fml 14

You have a couple minutes to edit them.

#26 - "a couple" normally means the same thing as "a few", rather then specifically 2, despite what it sounds like. It's stupid, and I didn't make it that way, but that's how it is! #25 - I wouldn't consider your computer/phone NOT crashing to be a "lucky" thing. :S It's just... Normal.

Couple means two, as in a married couple. A few means three, four, and sometimes 5.

Well that ssssucks Sorry op hope they understand

JustinJK 21

Ss-sssstinkkks that n-noo-no one has a sssssense of huhu-humor.

itcomesinthrees 10

You think this FML would have at least made you realize that mocking speech impediments isn't funny. That's not having a sense of humour, that's just being an asshole.

JustinJK 21

I'd rather be an asshole than a humorless priss.

To someone's face, I would never even think about mocking them. Even behind their back, mocking anyone in particular about their stutter or other speech impediment would never cross my mind. But joking about it generally (i.e. online about no one in particular) is not "being an asshole".

ChristianH39 30

It's not necessarily being an asshole, but it wasn't particularly funny either.

Sorry OP... your girlfriend should have mentioned your speech impediment way before you met her parents

Yeah maybe she will and one day they will look back and laugh at this

At least you know her family sticks up for each other. Have your girlfriend talk to them and meet them again another time.

XBurytheCastleX 25

Get a doctors note and show it to them. If that doesn't work then they aren't worth it.

I don't think OP should have to go to that trouble, his girlfriend should have said something before he met them, or while they were asking him to leave!

Plot twist: the dad was making fun of your speech impediment

Didn't your girlfriend not tell your parents about your speech problems or stick up for you? That's messed up.

therealjc_fml 14

It's a good think you don't need to date her parents.