By mekiswrite - 30/06/2016 19:15 - Canada

Today, I have a job but can't be hired due to technical issues. This means that I'm technically not getting paid yet for the work I do. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 803
You deserved it 840

mekiswrite tells us more.

Hey guys! So, the place that I'm working at JUST switched to a new system - which nobody knows how to use. A while ago, my boss sat down with me to try to get me set up in the system. One problem that I had was that, using my phone, it was telling me my username and password were wrong. So, my boss told me to sign in as a "New Candidate". When I did, it didn't register me as having applied for any jobs. Last night, I tried logging in with my computer with the original username I had used to create a profile on the site. All fixed now, so I'm signed up for Direct Deposit and should be getting my employee number in a day or so. Which means that I can clock in and out and they can keep track of the hours I work. Which also means I'll be getting paid for the work I do!

Top comments

Can you not work until they're paying you or just get reimbursed later?

tinytyler 12

You should seriously talk to someone about how this can get fixed. You shouldn't be working for free. Talk about possibly being reimbursed for the work you're doing.

Comments

Can you not work until they're paying you or just get reimbursed later?

Pretty much this... Just track your work hours on paper, MAKE SURE TO HAVE YOUR BOSS SIGN IT, and get it added to the system later. If the business is legit, they shouldn't even question it and do it immediately. If they refuse, get the hell out of there because that business is illegal and will probably try to screw you over again in the future.

tinytyler 12

You should seriously talk to someone about how this can get fixed. You shouldn't be working for free. Talk about possibly being reimbursed for the work you're doing.

Talk to your boss or supervisor and try to fix it before they make you work on something big and not get paid for it.

Mathalamus 24

They have no right to make you work without pay. You shouldn't technically have to work until they technically hire you. I mean no offence, but I hate the word technically. GAAH, tiny brother uses it for everything. "Technically, I didn't feed your lunch to the dogs, it fell" "Technically, I've only spent 7 hours on games today. TV doesn't count." Hope you enjoyed the rant. If not, get a milkshake.

I hope they can back-date your pay, otherwise that's technically slavery!

Or they classify it as Volunteer work or unpaid internship

This is fundamentally asinine. They need to technically hire you or you need to technically leave.

If you're technically not hired, then you technically have no job which means you technically are not obligated to do any work. If you really want the job then you should get something in writing that states you'll be paid for the work that you did, even if you don't get hired, assuming they'll be benefiting from it. Otherwise, you might end up getting screwed over because you'll have done the work for them and then they can easily claim you're not an employee, etc. and not properly compensate you, or hire you in the end.

Document everything! You are working there, and went through the process of being hired. They will have to legally pay you. Don't fall for them saying they don't! It's their fault, not yours, for those technical issues.