By Username - 27/05/2011 21:13 - United States

Today, I finally get to go home after a 16 day training event in Colorado. The plane has been sitting in the runway for over three hours due to lightning storms and we're not allowed to leave. We've spent more time on the ground waiting than the flight itself would take. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 622
You deserved it 3 277

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's frustrating when the weather's involved :( All for your safety though! (:

nocanhaz 4

You can get off the plane easy. Just have a "claustrophobic breakdown" and I'm pretty sure they would let you off, or you would just known as the person that went crazy on the plane. Either way it's worth it.

Comments

Happens to everyone, quit complaining.

johnson94 5

it's better to be alive than have a flight that is on time...

Totally agree, your life is very precious, make the most of your wait if you're ever in that position again and make new friends. :)

It's frustrating when the weather's involved :( All for your safety though! (:

Alex94xela 0

uhh lightning doesn't have shit on an airplane the plane is designed so that lightning bounces off the plane. the people who kept them there are fucktards

Yes planes are protected from lightning and electrical interference despite the fact of being made from aluminum. But it's the fact of that large of an object going down the runway at 200 mph, if you hit even a puddle of water the pilots may lose control.

Um no. That is not why they can't move. A red alert means nobody is allowed out on the runway due to lightning, and therefore no planes can be pushed back or waived in. The plane can't back itself out of the gate so they have to wait until the ramp agents are allowed back outside to push them back.

Thank goodness for people who know airport operations procedures and aren't an idiot like 42... And FYI, lightning doesn't "bounce off", it actually goes through the plane and out towards the ground. Unless you were trolling, in which case congratulations.

Wow, who would say YDI? That sucks OP!

Skelanimal15 0

ikr? that happend to me twice!! i once waoted 8 hours and he flight was less than 2!

HyundaiOwner7 0

Join the club... this happens to everyone. Stop complaining.

So just because it happens to everyone means he doesn't have a right to have an emotional feeling that's negative towards the fact that he's having to sit in a very small confined space for hours? People are allowed to complain or praise as necessary.

ugh I feel your pain, last trip I had to end up renting a car and driving 8 hrs home because our flight was rescheduled for 2 days later

nocanhaz 4

You can get off the plane easy. Just have a "claustrophobic breakdown" and I'm pretty sure they would let you off, or you would just known as the person that went crazy on the plane. Either way it's worth it.

Clever idea... but I don't think the point was to get off the plane. The OP probably only mentioned the fact that they couldn't leave because having to sit for hours in an enclosed space with little to do made the delay worse.

Time to solve an exciting crossword puzzle.

Yo uh no phones or computers using internet on the plane. Idc if you are on the ground rules are rules.

CateXOX 0

Unless they are in the ready position for take-off, they can use their electronics.

It doesn't hurt anything when they're sitting on the runway idling. 12 - let's see you go sit for hours on a plane with an iPhone in your pocket & never use it.

KiddNYC1O 20

12- Some airports allow usage while airplanes taxi and others don't. Obviously, in this situation you're allowed to.

I'd they are sitting for that long, the engines aren't fired up. Electronics are fine, and probably encouraged to keep people occupied lol.