By JessMelodique - 14/12/2016 03:01

Today, I finally decided to try an alternative to peanut butter, since I found out I was allergic a while back. Two hours later I had to be sent home because the allegedly allergen-free SunButter caused my lips and throat to swell and patches of rashes to form all over my body. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 218
You deserved it 733

Same thing different taste

Top comments

AshMomo0126 4

That could be a possible lawsuit against them

You know you have bad allergies when you are allergic to hypo allergenic alternatives!

Comments

This FML is just nuts! Look I'm really sorry

There is no such thing as allergen-free. A product can be significantly less likely to cause an allergic reaction but that does not make it 100% guaranteed. It's even possible to be allergic to allergy medication.

zeffra13 31

I think she meant specifically peanut allergen free.

If the product was hyped up by the company as 100% allergen free then legal trouble can surface.

You know you have bad allergies when you are allergic to hypo allergenic alternatives!

Sounds like you have a much broader nut allergy, I'd stay away from all, almond, hazelnut, cashew etc

zeffra13 31

SunButter is made from sunflower seeds, not nuts (or legumes like peanuts). Considering she only recently found out she's allergic to peanut butter and then had a severe reaction to SunButter, I'd guess she's allergic to a component or additive in the spread.

People who are allergic to nuts or peanuts can also have issues with sunflower seeds. It is likely that an additive is causing the reaction, but it's still worth looking into.

Or the product is made in a factory that also handles peanuts

Yeah this sounds like your allergy isn't limited to just peanuts. Perhaps go see an allergist and let them do a skin test to find out what you're allergic to.

Perhaps home isn't the proper destination for an allergic reaction.

cootiequeen4444 11

I was thinking the same damn thing once I read "throat to swell"... destination should be the ER then rather than home, no?

There is no such thing as allergen free. You can literally be allergic to anything. Even other people. I'm sure the OP meant that it's supposed to be peanut free. And she either a, just so happens to be allergic to sunflower as well, or b, got unlucky with cross contamination at the factory.