By thekyledavid - 05/08/2015 16:47 - United Kingdom - Oxford

Today, I entered a painting I'd worked on for weeks into an art competition. I won nothing. I wouldn't care so much if the guy I lost out to hadn't submitted a blank canvas and called it a "conceptual piece". FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 302
You deserved it 1 879

thekyledavid tells us more.

Hey, OP here. I just thought that you guys might be interested in knowing that the contest was actually rigged. One of the judges and the winner were in cahoots, and they halved the prize money. They were found out and had to return the money. I still wasn't ranked high enough to win though, but at least now I lost to someone who submitted actual art.

Top comments

mds9986 24

Art always confused me. You have great artists winning nothing and not having their work known, while other artists draw nothing but a blue line and sells it for millions.

You can always start again with a blank slate

Comments

You can always start again with a blank slate

Then the guy who won the contest would be like "wow, so unoriginal. They are obviously copying of my piece."

this post is much more entertaining if you stop at "i entered a painting"

mds9986 24

Art always confused me. You have great artists winning nothing and not having their work known, while other artists draw nothing but a blue line and sells it for millions.

1dvs_bstd 41

I never understood this either. You can buy a ******* table from Ikea, assemble it all wrong, put it in an art contest and still probably win. What's the deal?!

The deal is being able to think up some bullshit and find people dumb enough to believe it.

The deal is that the art society today is completely retarded. I really cannot even begin to imagine what is going through their heads.

Even a urinal is consider art just because it has a signature on it. Seriously....

As a person who studied art history in college, participated in exhibitions, and have purchased art, I too think trash displayed as art or a blank canvas is bullshit.

Visual art is no longer about the ability to paint, an eye for proportions and composition or the like, it's about writing the story that sells the piece to the critics. Consequently, inventive authors that can't draw shit have a greater chance at winning an art competition than any immensely talented painters.

Art confuses the art "experts", also. They don't know what's going on, but don't want to look the fool in front of the other people that don't know what's going on. So, they all nod their heads and pretend.

There's a YT video about everything.

Enter it in another contest? Also was there a theme or something going on here?

Blank canvas. BLANK canvas. In no theme would a blank canvas win.

Duh, it was a blank canvas contest.

Then someone would enter the blank canvas contest with a canvas with a single dot on it and would win by saying it's a commentary about how things never quite work out the way you want them to.

RedPillSucks 31

this actually happened to me. the winning piece was a blank canvas with a green dot. mine was of a young boy and I got honorable mention

As a person who loves art, so many things can be an inspiration. But the award should go to someone who actually put talent and hard work into the piece

Sounds like modern art. If you entered a modern art contest that's your own fault bro if Vincent Van Gogh wiped his paintbrush off with a paper towel, called it a masterpiece of nature and sold it, it would go for 1mil dollars hands down. But if not then idk that blows either way

Can't be bothered to look it up and check but I swear van gogh died in poverty and it was only years after people took notice of his works.

To add to that,he was ridiculed by society during his time.

Modern art my ass!!! A lot of people don't know art, even if it bit their nipples off! I'm sorry OP for the modern art douche bags out there.

whatarethisss 23

Come in with nothing and say "The world is art!"

This happened to me in high school. My classmate called it "Jesus in a blizzard."