By Anonymous - 10/06/2018 15:00

Today, I ended up in the hospital due to a severe acid reflux attack. I knew I had acid reflux for years, but was never allowed to get it checked out. Why? My dad told me I was too young to have it and that I was making it up. I now have to see a specialist. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 156
You deserved it 270

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I hope he learns from this one mistake and realize that there is no such thing as "too young to have (insert medical condition here)". Take it from someone who thought it was a big deal when a teenager came into work for a stroke, until we had a child come in with a stroke.

Tell your dad he’s not too young to have senile dementia.

Comments

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20
Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

I hope he learns from this one mistake and realize that there is no such thing as "too young to have (insert medical condition here)". Take it from someone who thought it was a big deal when a teenager came into work for a stroke, until we had a child come in with a stroke.

boopingsnoot 24

I was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis at age 18 months! (I got better) My own reflux problems stem from a mild form of Ehlers-Danlos.

I have so many issues from my dad’s exposure to Agent Orange as well as bad genes in my mom’s side. Conditions I was too young to have included bipolar and endometriosis. Thanks to non treatment as a child, they got worse. My mom fought with the doctors. I also had an early heart attack and am about to start testing for other autoimmune illnesses aside from the known lupus. Op, even as a teen I had to learn to be my own advocate.

PenguinPal3017 19

Was he the kindergarten class clown?

My younger sister has had it since the day she was born... I really hope your dad now realizes that he clearly isn’t a doctor and maybe he should actually listen to his children when they say they need help. Hope you feel better soon OP

Tell your dad he’s not too young to have senile dementia.

writergirl1029 17

I remember very clearly that a girl in my second grade class had it. Acid reflux due to obesity is more common in older people for sure, but it can be caused by many things that don’t always have to do with age.

Donut_Wizard 23

Try weed next time. I hear there is no reflux from that.

You’re never “too young or too old” to have a certain medical condition. Yes certain conditions are more prevalent in certain age groups but that doesn’t means it’s restricted to this group. Lifestyle, genetics and other factors play a role. Hope you feel better after seeing the specialist.

Emma Marshall 19

Why didn't you just go to the doctor yourself?

Because they're not old enough to, obviously.

Emma Marshall 19

No. Not obviously. The dad just said he was too young to have it. That could be any bloody age under 30....

...your dad’s an idiot lol. I worked at a daycare for some fifteen years and even babies have acid reflux and it doesn’t just get better on its own so toddlers, big kids, and teens alike all experience it if it’s not treated. Look into switching your diet a bit, that’s what’s going to help the most but also get a script from your doctor. Hope it gets better OP!

“Too young.” My brother was born with acid reflux. Pretty sure that means there’s no specific age you get it.