By Anonymous - 03/12/2015 09:47 - United States - Tualatin

Today, I completed my two-month internship, where I have been working as hard as I could with the hope of being hired. My boss couldn't remember my name, and declined to be a reference. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 643
You deserved it 1 435

Same thing different taste

Top comments

My best advice is to find someone who can recognize what a help you've been to the place. One that isn't a complete dick.

Ah, American semi-forced labor-I mean internships...

Comments

The best thing to do in this situation is kill everyone there and then shoot yourself

Okay in the world we live in...especially in oregon who just had issues...not cool. not cool at all... not even a little funny

asshole, I feel like you want to be liek those shooters

I truly hope FML moderates your comment, asshole.

Just so you guys know, you don't have to just "hope" a comment gets moderated. You can report it by clicking on the exclamation point icon.

Guy is trying to be edgy, ends up looking like a moron.

Maybe you're being redirected to something better. Everything happens for a reason, good luck!

My best advice is to find someone who can recognize what a help you've been to the place. One that isn't a complete dick.

This. And I would also speak to whomever in your school handled this internship. This company clearly needs to be removed from their list.

Ah, American semi-forced labor-I mean internships...

Indeed. Why ship people in from Africa when you can just tell folks in your own country that all the free labour they're doing for you will "advance their career options"?

bad_boyfriend 10

Your direct boss? If you didn't make an impression on the boss during a 2 month internship, whose fault is that?

You're so right though. Part of making an impression is going above and beyond, seeking advice from higher ups, taking the time to bring them a cup of coffee and asking to pick their brains on your quality of work. Just working your butt off in your own cubicle is great but you have to take the time to build mentoring relationships

You're not getting paid. Why should you waste the little money you have to buy someone else a coffee?

I don't know about you 31, but where my mom worked she was given an employ credit card so she just used that when her boss wanted coffee. I don't think you use your own money, and if you do they probably reimburse you

bad_boyfriend 10

Anyone who thinks it's not OPs fault, doesn't understand corporate america. It's your job to stand out, it's your job to get noticed. It's not about bringing someone coffee, it's about making sure your ideas are heard and credited to you. Every job I've ever worked, I make a point to bring some things to my boss that I think we could do differently within the first few weeks. It shows you have been examining your new job from the ground up and looking to improve things, it shows initiative. If you just showed up, sat at a desk and waited to be told what to do, that's on you.

I interned for 4 months and couldn't even get a letter of recommendation :/ but the way I see it is at least I got experience and found out what a job in that field was like.

Should have been better at making his coffee!

Sorry but this is a YDI. In the real world making connections is equally important to working hard, so you should have spent those two months getting to know and listen to the people who decide your fate.

I've worked with people who prefer connections to hard work. They're generally not very well liked by their co-workers or even by the people they are trying to charm. Those people only tend to actually get ahead in environments with incompetent bosses, like one who can't even remember the names of the people who are their professional responsibility. It doesn't have to be either/or with work ethic and networking but that is how it usually turns out in my experience.

In the real world, you can't guarantee that your efforts to network will actually pay off. It takes two to tango, and if the boss can't be bothered to learn the name of someone who works for him, I bet that's the same boss who doesn't respond to anything an intern can do to try to forge a relationship with him. Otherwise you're like a little kid demanding that someone "has" to be be your friend.