By Jessica - 23/03/2013 19:00 - United States - Brighton

Today, I broke up with my boyfriend of seven years. He stared at me, then said, "Yeah, okay then. I'm gonna watch TV now." He then turned on the TV and watched Top Gun. Not quite the response I was hoping for. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 764
You deserved it 41 238

Same thing different taste

Top comments

What were you hoping for exactly? To see him break down in tears for your satisfaction? The poor guy was probably devastated and trying to hold it together.

He cruised through a potentially brutal break-up fight like atrue maverick.

Comments

I have yet to ever see a Tom Cruise movie... Should I start with Top Gun?

Start with "Legend"! It's his best film to this day. *trying to keep a straight face* --although, I did learn what the word "germinate" was from watching that movie. :P

Why do I get the feeling I should most certainly NOT watch that movie? Except I'm now intrigued... how bad could it be?

Start with Top Gun, then move swiftly to Tropic Thunder; let me know if you recognise him. :D

If you can get past the cheesy 80s-ness of it, I'd recommend Top Gun. I know some people don't like it though because it's pretty cheesy. A Few Good Men, Interview with the Vampire, and Mission Impossible are my favorites of his. You should definitely check them out at some point imo. :)

Yeah, Top Gun, and A Few Good Men are my favorite of his.

Tropic Thunder is probably his only good movie. I am however partial to War of the Worlds but the ending was rubbish!

Don't forget Days of Thunder guys! Top Gun, but NASCARs lol

If you love movies that are so corny they're great, or are into cult classics, Legend is a great one to watch. If you're into more mainstream movies, not so much. I love it, personally, cause I'm just a corny, cult classic lovin kinda girl :)

114, that last sentence sounded like a bio on an online daring profile.

He cruised through a potentially brutal break-up fight like atrue maverick.

I'd say he aced that one, and that her attempt to get a rise out of him crashed... He's the bomb.

Seems like the boyfriend had the smoother landing, and clearly felt no turbulence at all.

This isn't Hollywood. Jester attitude alone could've put him in a tailspin.

The tension alone would have given me goosebumps.

Pleonasm, I think you're a stupid idiot. Nah, that was a false lie. I was jokingly kidding. I like you. And you're quickly speeding up the ranks on FML. You're a funny comedian. Before you thumb me down, google the word "pleonasm".

I think he probably knew a while ago that she lost that loving feeling.

She's only tried to break up with a guy twice in her lifetime. The first time, she crashed and burned. She's still waiting to see how her second attempt goes.

#79 I googled the word Pleonasm, and then thumbed you down.

I know what a pleonasm is and thumbed you down anyway.

79: #1 rule of the game: respect; don't dick-ride. I'm sure you find it hard to breathe with Pleo's scrotum clogging your trachea.

Dang. I guess nobody got it. :( Live and learn!

Clearly someone else isn't quite "getting it"...

theberndttoast 8

No one can be upset while watching top gun... He will be sad after though.

challan 19

When Goose dies, we all cry.

(pause button hit) G-g-g-g-goose dies?!???

Well then, it looks like I'm not watching that movie now; onto Jungle Fever.

He's not in denial! He's just very selective about the reality he chooses to believe in :3

What were you hoping for exactly? To see him break down in tears for your satisfaction? The poor guy was probably devastated and trying to hold it together.

Couldn't have said that any better. I feel bad for the poor guy. He will be feeling it after the movie or after she leaves.

Ya seriously, What you wanted him to beg you not to? It sounds like it was an ideal break-up to me.

Exactly 6! I was thinking exactly the same thing. if anything OP should be happy he didn't because after all she is the one who wanted to break up.

karen1991 15

Agreed, did you wanna see fireworks or something? And be able to tell your friends "oh, we'll when we broke up he said this and broke that" jeez, whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Sounds to me like he's heard it from her a few times before but she's still there..

Also the fact, basing my knowledge off of the FML, she was looking for a reaction, she definitely deserved it.

I think it was more that she felt like he didn't care. Or dismissed it like she was kidding. But I agree with you and he was probably hiding it until she left or something

ohcoolstorybro 14

Yeah honestly though, did you want to make him feel like shit? That made you sound like a bitch OP

sourgirl101 28

The OP probably wanted to continue to talk about it instead of just getting a blank stare. Maybe the boyfriend sensed that the relationship was coming to an end and made no fuss about it which is not what I'd expect-- if I were to end a long term relationship. Ending it might be what's best but making it seem like it's not a big deal and choosing to watch TV as if she didn't/never mattered? Who knows, maybe he's the one that wanted to purposely make her feel like shit by doing that.

LuckBeNimble 19

47: maybe he was in shock. ending something so suddenly after 7 years would definitely put him in a surreal situation. if he couldn't grasp it entirely, TV might have been his only recourse. and hoping you'd get some kind of rise out of someone after breaking up can imply either a) you didn't really want to break up, in which case you deserve it for initiating the breakup or b) you wanted to watch them suffer, in which case you're a vindictive asshat.

sourgirl101 28

Or he could "act" like he couldn't care less to get the "rise out of her"? (Ex: you hurt me? I'm going to make damn sure I hurt you more by pretending to not give a damn!) However, I understand what everyone is saying. There's more to this FML than is written. I just think the OP is getting the short end of the stick since it's only her side we're hearing. (: FML sure is a tough crowd!

What...were you hoping to cause him great pain? Did you want to see him in tears and beg for you back? YDI.

TorisaurusRexxx 10

I fully agree. I've been in Op's boyfriend's shoes (not nearly as long of a relationship, closer to year) It seemed as if my ex just wanted to see me beg him not to go. I just stood there silently because I wasn't going to beg if he didn't want me.

I think the OP may have meant to say it wasn't a reaction she "expected." This could just be a poor choice of words.

@99, you'd still have to ask what response she was expecting. If she expected a bad reaction and didn't get one, then it doesn't really sound like an FML.

Why were you hoping for a reaction? To feel good about yourself? Asshole.

yumyumpoptart 16

maybe the reaction she was looking for was for him to show that he still really cares about her and since he didn't she's doing the right thing?

She was hoping to see him sad and crying, if she was doing that just to see if it was the right thing to do, that's stupid, there are other ways to get him to show he cares. She should be happy he didn't respond that way, only make the breakup easier for her.

@139 So you're implying that the OP told her BF that she wanted to break up with him, when really, she just wanted to gauge his reaction and make him... what? Get down on his hands and knees and plead with her not to leave? No matter how you spin it, it seems like a dick move on her part simply because there's that expectation attached to the fml.