By hadrienne's pall - 13/05/2016 19:25 - Canada - Markham

Today, I asked a girl at the restaurant I work at if she'd had enough to eat. When she said yes, I said, "Are you sure?" I didn't realize how insulting it sounded until her equally overweight mom was up in my face, demanding to see my manager. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 966
You deserved it 4 274

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mistakes happen... But you probably shouldn't ask any customer if they are sure about that, overweight or not.

lexiieeex3 32

I feel like a super skinny person would not have taken it well either... Just know for next time not to push as much and just accept the customer's answer as final unless they say otherwise to avoid situations like these.

Comments

Mistakes happen... But you probably shouldn't ask any customer if they are sure about that, overweight or not.

lexiieeex3 32

Agreed, they're more likely to get annoyed because you "questioned their decision" than anything else. As a former waitress, I've seen it all.

When I ordered a Diet Coke and my skinnier partner ordered a regular Coke, the server gave me a look and asked us separately if "we were sure"; we perceived it as him making a comment about my weight, like it's expected that I'd order a trough. It's possible he didn't mean that way (though we're certain he did) but it just goes to show that you should be more careful with your words and actions when it comes to work and just being a decent person.

That sucks, but don't be so damn pushy.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Yeah, next time you should just assume that when people say "yes" that they actually mean it. But hopefully you were able to explain that it wasn't your intent to be insulting.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Eh, as a thin person, Id be a bit annoyed as well. And I can see others getting upset. Often because you can get a lot of comments about needing to eat more, sneering if you eat little, and just trying to force the issue.

I understand your point of not catering to someones needs because of a choice they make. But I still don't believe you should be hateful or rude with someone on a physical attribute. Saying they're being over sensitive seems a bit out there considering it could be taken incorrectly by multiple parties.

It'd be annoying no matter your weight.

lexiieeex3 32

I feel like a super skinny person would not have taken it well either... Just know for next time not to push as much and just accept the customer's answer as final unless they say otherwise to avoid situations like these.

I'll be honest until I was 25 I was super skinny and no one ever from childhood on up ever asked "Are you sure" until I was fat then suddenly that question got added. My skinny siblings still don't get the " are you sure" I don't know if it's a subconscious thing but one of the reason's it's so infuriating is that it's usually only asked of overweight people most of whom have a slower metabolism than skinny people and thus actually eat less food but constantly get treated like we are eating more when that's visibly not true. A table with my family my skinny brothers and sister with scraped clean plates and my mom getting a to go box is the one whose asked if she's sure she's full.

A server asking someone if they've had enough to eat is never a good idea. You're not their mom and font know their circumstances. You can ask "will that be all" if you have to say something, but just repeating the order to make sure you have it right is better.

aconsultant 9

I never knew they are called servers. I thought servers were computer or something.

Don't be so pushy and accept peoples first answer.

neuronerd 28

Why would you ask if they had enough to eat? Isn't the standard question "are you finished" or "can I take your plate?" Unless you're a grandma type at a country diner, asking if someone if they've had enough to eat seems a little strange, and maybe like you're pushing them to order more. Questioning their response is even pushier. I'm a normal weight, and though I doubt I'd ask for the manager, I would find that pretty awkward and a bit insulting.

Agreed. That's awkward and I don't really understand why it was asked. If they clearly answer yes or no, there is nothing left to say. If they seem unsure, offer a box. I wouldn't be happy if someone questioned my judgment like that after I'd given a clear answer.

That's just it they don't ask skinny people that question even though skinny people have a higher metabolism and consume more food than overweight people. I have been both. Until I was 25 I was super skinny and I always ate enough to earn the nickname bottomless pit as my metabolism slowed so did the amount of food I consumed. Now I am more likely to need a to go box than a dessert menu but now they try to shove more food in me.

Darkmagic666 9

You should have fixed it by continuing and describing your favorite dessert your work sells.