This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By leavemealone - 15/06/2017 02:00 - Australia - Saint Lucia

Today, a guy in a coffee shop was trying to chat me up, when he noticed a ring on my finger and asked if I was married. In a stroke of regrettable honesty, I told him no, the ring was my mother's, who died when I was young. He said I probably shouldn't wear it because "men'll just get confused." FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 382
You deserved it 1 007

Top comments

The guy was being straight up and honest, right? He wasn't going to mess around with a married woman and let you know his concerns. Seems good to me, or am I missing something?

It should be on your right hand not your left.

Comments

TheWhiteDragon 8

Well, all things considered, they would with a response like that

The guy was being straight up and honest, right? He wasn't going to mess around with a married woman and let you know his concerns. Seems good to me, or am I missing something?

species4872 19

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I think the problem is that the OP is being told not to wear something important to her, to satisfy other people.

He was insinuating that "signalling" men was more important that a connection with OP's deceased parent. Are you being ironic or are you so far down the misogyny tunnel that you genuinely don't think women should be allowed feelings unless they relate to men?

More like he was insinuating put it in your right hand instead if you aren't married.

Oh piss off "mysogyny". A wedding ring has long meant "I am unavailable". His confusion was completely justified. Not everything is an affront against women.

@MotherKat He literally asked if he was missing something, don't you think it's then more likely that he was missing that point rather than being ironic or misogynist?

I agree, you can't just jump to conclusions and say that men must have bad intentions... idk how exactly he said that, but it sounds like he was just trying to do you a favour. He wasn't trying to change you, he was trying to help

species4872 19

A lot of women will wear wedding rings when they go out, if it confuses some guy, bad luck. Wear what you want.

I wear a fake ring when I go out sometimes to deter any guys from hitting on me. It doesn't always work though

Wouldn't confuse me. I never get that far. Talking to an actual woman that's not a work colleague, friend of a friend or a friend from before I somehow became a chicken? In real life? Yeah right!

Why would it even matter if it confuses him? She's not wearing it for him or other men.

It should be on your right hand not your left.

Isa_fml 20

She can where it however she wants.

mariri9206 32

I missed the part where OP mentioned which hand it was.

HalfLit 17

I also wear my mothers old wedding band. It also just so happens to only fit my left hand, so I understand the struggle. But when you meet someone and really get to know them, obviously they will know you're not married, and will respect that you wear a token from your mother.

mariri9206 32

Why not put it on a chain and wear it as a necklace? Not that there's anything wrong with wearing it as a ring but, if it were me, I'd be concerned about it potentially falling off and potentially losing something so valuable that I'd prefer to make it a necklace.

mariri9206 32

They never specified it was that finger.

He's not wrong. I once dated a girl who wore a diamond ring on her ring finger. On our first date, I pointed to the ring and asked, "Is there something I should know?"