By Avocadopurse - 01/05/2018 16:54

Today, I tried to redeem a gift certificate my fiance and I had been given for a free romance package at a hotel. The hotel closed permanently four years ago. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 380
You deserved it 746

avocadopurse tells us more.

avocadopurse 5

OP here! A few things: the gift certificate was given to my mother, who gave it to me. It was not a gift-giving occasion she was trying to cop out of, she simply found it in a box one day and thought I'd get better use of it. The real fun was that a completely different hotel took over this one and continued to use the same phone number, so it took nearly 20 minutes with a very confused guest service rep to figure out what had happened! It turns out my mother had had the gift certificate for ELEVEN YEARS (she's military and that's how long it's been since she lived in our hometown). We all had a good laugh, and she offered to pay for a hotel, since we'd been planning on using it for a trip home.

Top comments

Unless that gift certificate was hanging around unused for years, you need to have a few words with the gift-giver...

I get that some people don't have money for expensive gifts, but at least they should try with something smaller, not give them an empty gift card

Comments

Unless that gift certificate was hanging around unused for years, you need to have a few words with the gift-giver...

Look at that. You hit the nail on the head. Any thoughts on who will win next year's Superbowl? I like to start early.

I get that some people don't have money for expensive gifts, but at least they should try with something smaller, not give them an empty gift card

Lobby_Bee 17

The gift of bullshit. Priceless!

I’ll bet the gift-giver got a pretty good deal on the gift certificate. Maybe 20% or so?

Hold onto it and regift it back to them in a year. Then just stare them in the eyes as they realize what just happened.

Seems like a bad omen for your marriage. I hope the romance isn’t as dead as that gift certificate.

Unless you hung onto the gift card for years, my bet is the certificate was a re-gifted. If you recently received the gift certificate, gently but honestly simply let the person know what happened. If they are decent people they will apologize and give you another gift. If they are trash they will try to pass it off as “not their fault” if that happens drop them like the trash they are and be glad you found out now.

how long were you holding on to those?!!? I need to know before I can judge you!.

tounces7 27

I'm betting the card had already been used anyway then.

How long ago were you given the gift cert? If it was recent, FYL. If it was a long time ago, YDI.