By Anonymous - 19/06/2018 19:00

Today, I found out that, after a year of separation, my ex-wife is pregnant and due in a few months. The divorce became official a few weeks ago and the father is my former best friend. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 446
You deserved it 306

Same thing different taste

Top comments

OP, at least now you're not on the hook to pay (monetary) child support for somebody else's kid, right? Not to mention otherwise physically caring for/ raising said newborn 'til adulthood were you two committed to staying together & married after all, no? As painful as this is, I think you dodged the proverbial bullet just in time (for multiple reasons). Good luck to you! :-)

Comments

OP, at least now you're not on the hook to pay (monetary) child support for somebody else's kid, right? Not to mention otherwise physically caring for/ raising said newborn 'til adulthood were you two committed to staying together & married after all, no? As painful as this is, I think you dodged the proverbial bullet just in time (for multiple reasons). Good luck to you! :-)

Zekfen 17

Sadly this isn’t true due to state laws that assume paternity. For example, in California, if you were married and your wife has a baby, you are the presumed father and you can’t contest it, even with DNA proof showing you aren’t the father, even if you get a divorce. Many states also have laws that assume paternity that if a child is born x number of days (Alabama’s is 300), then you are the presumed father and thus responsible for child support. In most states you have up to a year after the baby is born to contest the assumption of paternity, but in some states like California you can’t. So OP, check with your divorce lawyer on the assumed paternity laws in your state and make sure you contest it the hour the baby is born. Otherwise if you assume because you are divorced it can’t comeback to haunt you, you’ll get a nasty surprise when your ex drags you into court in a few years for child support.

Zekfen 17

You can doubt all you want, or you can go look up the laws yourself and see. I have a friend whose wife cheated on him and got pregnant, they got a divorce, child was born and state put him down as assumed father on birth certificate. Two years later she took him to court for child support and back payments. He had a DNA test to prove the child wasn’t his, state said to bad, you had one year to contest it, so even though you aren’t the biological father, you are permanently listed as the father for child support. She won and now he is paying child support until the kid is 18.

The old best friend didn't get out in time. if you know what I mean...

OP - It’s time to recognize the ex is no longer your wife and not your responsibility. She has a new life as do you. It’s time to move on. While it’s awkward that the new baby daddy is your friend, at least you won’t be raising and supporting that one.

Well, you're getting rid of both of them at a good time.

Looks like you’re closing the barn door after the horse has left. You’re better off without trash like those two (or people who are way too good for you.)

People here are saying as usual that he dodged a bullet. But why? They were separated for more than one year. What is the problem with her moving on? I mean that's the whole point of separating. And why do you people assume that she would have cheated on him if they were not separated? Why do you need to paint the ex-wife as some kind of bad guy?

Moving on from your husband to his best friend is a pretty shitty thing to do, even if it only started after you separated.

manb91uk 22

He said former best friend... Who knows when he broke up with his best friend...

Probably the day he found out he was sleeping with his estranged wife...

I hope you mean Ex-Wife. Oh wait... you said that. I hope you mean Ex-Best Friend. Oh wait... you said that, too.

manb91uk 22

I'm probably going to get a lot of downvotes for this but what the hell... You and your ex-wife have been separated for over a year which means that she got pregnant after you decided to split up. Admittedly she moved on with a friend of yours but still... Unless the grounds for divorce was that she refused to have kids with you, then I can't see the issue. Yes, it sucks that your marriage is over, and I'm sorry, but you should try and move on as well. Stop watching her life and focus on your own.

Exactly my thoughts. They've been broken up for over a year, living in separation, going through a divorce. So at that point, she can do what she wants. It sucks for OP that it was with a friend but she didn't cheat or anything like that (as far as we know) so they're nothing that's objectively wrong.

Guys... I'm pretty sure the problem is that his best friend was sleeping with his estranged wife before the divorce was even finalized! Isn't that part of the bro code? You don't **** your best friend's ex!

This sounds like the beginning of that story where the cougar lady called the radio station because she wanted another date with a guy and it turned out he only banged her to get revenge on his old school bully and got it all on video.

How on earth does this sound like that lol