This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Kylie Marie - 25/04/2018 13:00 - United States - Bordentown

Today, my boss yelled at me for not working yesterday after texting to ask me to come in. Did they text me? No, they texted my boyfriend. Now I'm on probation for not showing up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 073
You deserved it 314

Top comments

Why would they have your boyfriend's phone # on file to contact you? Do you both work there?

Lobby_Bee 17

Talk to HR? I'm sure they wouldn't want a lawsuit.

Comments

Why would they have your boyfriend's phone # on file to contact you? Do you both work there?

Spiritkat 7

They did this at one of my jobs too. Good thing he was with me to let me know. They got my contact and the emergency contact mixed up.

He might be her emergency contact and they accidentally contacted him instead of her. My boyfriend is my emergency contact.

Lobby_Bee 17

Talk to HR? I'm sure they wouldn't want a lawsuit.

Why are Americans obsessed with lawsuits? You don't need to sue for every thing that happens to you!

Because there isn't usually another way to resolve it. Unless you have a contract most companies can fire you no matter what.

Lobby_Bee 17

I agree, but in this situation no rules was broken. So why should op take the shaft for it? You want me to come in for work, you tell me. Don't tell my dog, maid, neighbour, friends, or anybody else. If something important comes up at work, do I tell the boss' wife and expect her to tell him?

Well conversely american companies seem to be obsessed with putting people on probation over nothing.

On top of that, what are the circumstances behind them calling her in to work? Was she aware she was supposed to be on call? Does her job description actually include coming in at the drop of a hat? Had they told her that they may have to call her in and she was like, "Ok, cool, just give me a call."? If not than she can't even be in trouble for not coming in because if she wasn't scheduled to be there, and was not actively scheduled to on call, than her coming in because they needed help would be a purely voluntary thing. It's not a no show if you weren't originally supposed to be there to begin with.

AdeenCuffing 12

Probation for asking you to come in? On a day off?

tounces7 27

Yeah, Welcome to America, where employers just crap all over everyone.

Why didn’t your boyfriend relay the message? Is he really your boyfriend or are you some creepy stalker chick who has made this guy your emergency contact in a lame attempt to get him to call you?

More likely he was occupied & didn't see the text in time. Maybe he was at work where he has to leave his cell in his locker, or he was asleep. But sure, let's kick OP while they're down.

jodz11 8

I don't understand why you're in trouble if they texted the wrong person...

TomeDr 24

I once got chastised for not coming in on time after my manager had changed my schedule. Turns out he changed it but didn’t bother to inform me of her change. He was annoyed when I didn’t apologize. 🙄

why would your boss even have your boyfriend's cell number. that just seems odd

This sucks. I once had a boss who didn't let me check the schedule because the managers were having a meeting in the office so he read it to me. He read it wrong saying I didn't work until Monday. So I went to a friend's house for the weekend and this was before cell phones were everywhere. He called my house and got my parents to ask why I wasn't at work. I called on Sunday and talked to him "Why didn't you show up for work Saturday and Sunday?" "You told me I wasn't on the schedule until tomorrow" "Oh yeah I did say that well in that case since it's my fault I am only going to count both days as one occurrence" Yeah the asshole still counted it against me after admitting I wasn't at fault.