By LoadingMeows - 23/09/2016 01:17 - United States

Today, I was written up. Too many customers complained that I don't wear makeup or do my hair. I got written up for being ugly. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 868
You deserved it 1 916

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Are they stupid? There's no way that's legal.

neuronerd 28

Where on earth do you work? I mean, I could understand maybe if you don't wash or brush your hair and it's a hygiene issue, but I can't think of any place where makeup would be mandatory or a thing people would complain about.

Comments

Are they stupid? There's no way that's legal.

I think it depends on the job. If it is a hairdresser or beautician I think that is fair enough to ask someone to use the products and help sell it. But I would hate a job where I had to wear makeup. I have heard of restaurants only hiring conventionally attractive people to be wiating staff or bar staff and the others to work in the back. I don't know if it is legal or not but I strongly disagree with it.

tounces7 27

It also kinda depends on what "Do her hair" means. If she shows up with a rats nest I can understand why they'd be upset.

wqeras 19

Those customer must be all assholes I feel bad for you

neuronerd 28

Where on earth do you work? I mean, I could understand maybe if you don't wash or brush your hair and it's a hygiene issue, but I can't think of any place where makeup would be mandatory or a thing people would complain about.

I worked in cosmetics and makeup was part of the uniform.

Just out of curiosity, where do you work? If too many customers are complaining, I'm interested to know if your job description had mentioned "makeup" and such. I know that some retail stores and "obviously makeup stores" require it. But if this is a completely unrelated job then seriously, what the heck is wrong with people.. I mean I understand professionalism. So a clean hair-do makes sense. But makeup? It feels weird that a company would be so irrational unless they had a legitimate reason (although it's entirely possible because anything is). Definitely need a follow up! There is too much ambiguity here.

Jazzalyn 10

Doing your hair should be a standard thing no matter where you work. I'm not dealing with customers face-to-face in my line of work, but I still do mine. And when I think of places customers might expect employees to wear make-up, I think of places where presentation is of a high importance. So I'm leaning towards a YDI, but a follow-up is needed to make a definite decision.

You deserve it. You didn't get written up for being ugly - you got written up for not making an effort to look presentable.

Grow up, it's not about your ugliness, it's about your attitude.

I'm quite sure they would have mentioned that in their complaints rather than OP's appearance.

They knew what you looked like when they hired you. So it's about your attitude. YDI

No, it isn't. When you get written up, they have to tell you why. If OP is saying its cause of appearances then it's because of appearances.

If your workplace has one, get an employee hand book, and go over the section that details workplace appearance. If the book doesn't say anything about having to do those things, go to HR or somewhere else that has the authority to help you. If your workplace doesn't have a handbook, ask for a written set of guidelines. If they won't supply that, ask them how you're supposed to meet standards that they won't inform you about.

Getting written up for not wearing makeup and not doing your hair is not the same as getting written up for being ugly. You are expected to put in an effort and look professional and not as if you just got out of bed.

Pretty sure you can look presentable without wearing makeup.

Please don't insinuate that a human being's face is naturally not presentable, what the **** man

Do men have to wear makeup? If not then it's a gender discriminative rule and that is illegal.

Men generally have to be clean shaven which is comparable since its a daily routine just like putting on makeup. Men usually have stricter guidelines on hairstyles and getting it cut as well.