By Chiiii - 15/11/2017 01:30

Today, I got home from working abroad for 8 months and opened my post. I'm being taken to court over 3 parking tickets my mum didn't tell me she'd gotten using my car. If we lose, my credit score is affected for 6 years. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 316
You deserved it 308

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you worked abroad, you should have lots and lots of documents to prove you weren't in the country to have parked wrong and have a good reason why you couldn't dispute the tickets before. Should be an easy proof. Good look with this!

manb91uk 22

Is it Bad Mom week up in here or something?

Comments

If you worked abroad, you should have lots and lots of documents to prove you weren't in the country to have parked wrong and have a good reason why you couldn't dispute the tickets before. Should be an easy proof. Good look with this!

manb91uk 22

Is it Bad Mom week up in here or something?

ViviMage 38

Why didn't you take your keys with you? Or store the car with no fluids and no wheels on blocks if you were gone that long. Take documentation that you weren't even in the country, and claim the car was stolen so you weren't responsible for a stolen car's actions.

Why lie? That only causes problems, possibly up to insurance fraud. I wouldn't want to try explaining how the car was stolen but now is back without any help.

PhantomCrevan 8

Sinshine, it wouldn't actually be lying. If the mother doesn't own some portion of the car, each time she drove it, she was in fact committing car theft. It doesn't stop being a crime just because the thief brings it back. If OP lives somewhere that it's a crime to drive without a valid insurance plan, and the mother wasn't on OP's plan as a driver of that vehicle, that's another crime.

First she stole money from a disabled person, and now she's hiding parking tickets. Think we got a nomination for "Mom of the Year" award!

Lobby_Bee 17

It's a good time to report your car stolen.

They were your mum’s tickets. SHE needs to take responsibility. If anyone’s credit rating is going to take a hit, it should be hers.

Your going to have to prove that you were overseas and most likely have to take a plea deal ( not sure if it's called something different for traffic tickets). And just pay it. Then your going to have to make your mom pay you back or take her to court. Either way you can't let you mom use your car anymore

PhantomCrevan 8

Unless OP's mother has partial ownership of the car, and also is on OP's insurance plan or has the car on her insurance plan, if they can prove that they weren't in the country, they don't have to pay the fee. If they weren't in the country to drive it, they obviously didn't commit the driving violations, and thus shouldn't be able to be charged. If the mother doesn't have any ownership of the car, each time she drove it, she was in fact committing car theft. Given that I believe this same poster mentioned the mother stealing several thousand dollars from one of her own children, in OP's shoes, I wouldn't just prove I was out of the country, but also inform the judge that the incidents cited occurred during times that the car had been stolen. For a person as shitty as the mother is, there really isn't anything to lose by getting her arrested.