By sufia - 30/08/2018 23:30 - Pakistan - Lahore

Today, after months of saving for a trip to India, I learnt that because I was born in Pakistan, I can't use my Canadian passport and have to apply for a Pakistani one. I also learnt there is a ban on Indian tourist visas for Pakistani passport holders. There goes my trip. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 900
You deserved it 362

Top comments

If you have Canadian citizenship you can travel with a Canadian passport regardless of your place of birth.

I'm not sure how all that works, but at least you didn't spend the money BEFORE finding all that out. Look on the bright side, you already have money saved up for a trip to another place you've always wanted to go to!

Comments

If you have Canadian citizenship you can travel with a Canadian passport regardless of your place of birth.

Zekfen 17

She didn’t say she had citizenship. She could have been a refuge at which point she still technically has Pakistan citizenship until citizenship process is complete.

PenguinPal3017 19

Canadian passports can only be issued to Canadian citizens.

Someone commented below that "they don't care that you are a citizen of another country, they won't let you in if you were born in Pakistan." Such a bummer for OP!

I'm not sure how all that works, but at least you didn't spend the money BEFORE finding all that out. Look on the bright side, you already have money saved up for a trip to another place you've always wanted to go to!

Zekfen 17

Oh the bright side you don’t have to worry about being raped and hung from a tree now!

_Hakuna_Matata_ 12
hfjdj 1

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I'm also a Pakistani and I'm proud of it. You are welcome to visit.

As ****** up as that is to say, it was pretty funny

OP Please get an ID card made. It's called Nadra card. If you've got Pakistani citizenship then this will be easy. Get an appointment at the pakistan embassy in Canada. They will be able to advise. DM me if you want.

Lot of hatred between the two countries, so I'm not surprised such restrictions exist. There might be more than one way around it, though, if you can find the info you need online.

i don’t understand this. i’m assuming you have dual citizenship, so why does it matter which passport you use?

PenguinPal3017 19

I looked it up, and it's true. India hates Pakistan so much that they don't care that you are a citizen of another country, they won't let you in if you were born in Pakistan.

They've not asked for it but they still have it... students from Pakistan mostly face great difficulty as they won't stay for a week or two for their degree so there we have it. I'm Indian but this is pointless as they won't somehow blow up places everywhere. They are the citizens who didn't harm us in anyway but our government and some unworthy chaps still hate em for no reason.

At least you presumably still have a lot of money saved up. You could buy yourself something nice as a consolation.