By 21anddumb - 08/01/2018 23:23

Today, my dad brought home a strawberry shortcake to celebrate my turning 21 at midnight. It looked amazing, but it would've been better if he'd remembered that I’ve been allergic to berries for 6 years now. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 981
You deserved it 357

Noel J Reed tells us more.

Hi, op here. So I understand that while strawberries aren’t technically berries, I am in fact still allergic to them and pretty much every berry and berry like fruit, I’ve been hospitalized due to this so we all take it very seriously. And btw lobby_bee I’m not only a barely 5’2 woman, I’m a psychology major who is open to talk to you about all this anger you have for random people on the internet. Oh, and you misspelled grateful :)

Top comments

WTF is up with all the "don't be such a complainer" comments!? A: this is a site FOR COMPLAINING, B: a parent's primary job is to look out for their child's safety. Forgetting that your kid has an extreme allergy is very strange. I can only assume there was a second parent who always took care of OP because this one seems asleep on the job, C: Yes it is the thought that counts- and the thought expressed by this gift was "I have so little interest in you I don't even remember the time(s) you were hospitalized". And D: most people want to feel important and loved especially on a big birthday. Having someone close to you do something that looks an awful lot like they don't love you and don't see you as important, on your birthday, definitely is a valid excuse to feel upset. OP I am sorry about the cake, and I am sorry about the dickheads you've encountered here.

exileonmainst 16

He’s also got a raspberry beret for you, and he was planning to take you down to strawberry fields.

Comments

exileonmainst 16

He’s also got a raspberry beret for you, and he was planning to take you down to strawberry fields.

exileonmainst 16

Not many Prince and Beatles fans around here huh?

EnvyMe33 26

I’m a Beatles fan. I got it. :)

GoogieWithers 22

Yes he should have remembered but it was a very sweet thing to do. He should get some credit for trying.

Funny thing, strawberries aren't actually berries...

Lobby_Bee 17

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Happy Birthday! Maybe just go for drinks instead...cheers!

Aren't strawberries not truly berries? Maybe your father thought they were safe.

xAmazon 7

Strawberries aren't berries tho

Hi, op here. So I understand that while strawberries aren’t technically berries, I am in fact still allergic to them and pretty much every berry and berry like fruit, I’ve been hospitalized due to this so we all take it very seriously. And btw lobby_bee I’m not only a barely 5’2 woman, I’m a psychology major who is open to talk to you about all this anger you have for random people on the internet. Oh, and you misspelled grateful :)

Vesi 29

OK I'm rolling on the floor at your response. Unfortunately, the internet is full of hateful trolls. Congrats on making legal age. Cheers! =)

UnLuckyGyal 6

Better for whom? Since you’re allergic to strawberries, he gets to eat the whole cake himself. Looks like it turned out great for him!