By codizzy - 18/08/2016 22:05

Today, while working at my job at a lumber/hardware store, my coworker told me he was taking an hour break instead of the usual half-hour. Not only did he leave me with a store packed with customers on Customer Appreciation Day, but he never came back until closing time. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 747
You deserved it 936

Same thing different taste

Top comments

drayloon 50

So, I hear your place is hiring soon...

I hope his arse gets fired immediately!

Comments

drayloon 50

So, I hear your place is hiring soon...

I hope his arse gets fired immediately!

Did you report him? He would totally deserve it.

Report him to a higher up. Explain the story, and if they don't believe you, ask to check the cameras. One of them ought to show that he isn't present and working with the customers. I hope everything goes okay. Don't let him get away with that behavior!

Was he looking for Pokemon or something? Hope the appropriate action will be taken!!

I don't see how your coworker even thought an hour break was justified, much less coming back at closing. Where I worked, for an 8hr shift, alls we got was a 30mins break, and a 15mins one, and these had to be separate. This was all they were required to give us by law, so it's the max we were allowed to have, we weren't allowed to use more. If a coworker ever said to any other, "I'm taking an hour break," the response would be "that's not allowed, you'll be back here in half an hour or less, or a manager will be notified and you will be fired." You need to report your coworker to HR if you have one, or a manager, he was getting paid and supposed to be doing his job that day, but he wasn't, so he's wasting company time, being a slacker and failing to do his job, as well as ruining the store's reputation.

You work 12hrs, 6 days a week, I assume that's what 12x6 means, of course you will get more or longer breaks. I said for a regular 8hr shift, 30mins is standard, it is the most common, it gives people just enough time to eat, it's a "meal break." I also did specify "where I worked," I never said this applied everywhere. However, 1hr is actually pretty uncommon, in fact, in most states, they don't even need to give you a meal break. "Fewer than half the states require employers to provide a meal break. In those states that require meal breaks, employees who work more than five or six hours at a time typically must be allowed to take a half hour to eat." In a lot of other countries, 30mins is also pretty standard. Employers, wanting to get the most work out of their employees as possible, usually only allow a 30min break, especially for jobs in retail, which a hardware job is. I want to know what jobs you've worked at where you get hour long breaks, I wish I got that lol. Even if I work 12hrs, I get 2 30min breaks and I have to take them separately.

I worked a data entry job, a human resources position, a basic office/front desk job, and trained new hires for an emergency call center. All had hour long lunches.

Talk to his direct supervisor, the store manager and HR, in that order. It's BS when people think they can get away with that. Even more so when it's a supervisor's pet employee.

*facepalm* The worst part is that the part that bothers me is the struggle for "oaky."