By BenFiggy - 21/04/2016 13:28 - United States - Brick

Today, while waiting in line with my 4-year-old son, I had to awkwardly apologize to an African-American gentleman and explain to my son that the man was not made out of chocolate. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 742
You deserved it 2 627

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I mean, your son is 4. Has he been so sheltered that he has never seen an African American or is it just rare or something? But hopefully the guy didn't think too much of it since your son is little.

imcornelious 15

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

imcornelious 15

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

UserError94 18

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Forrest Gump is the best movie I have ever watched.

CheekyRaccoon 27

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

But....there's a little map inside the box that says exactly what your gonna get.

CheekyRaccoon 27

I don't understand why all the thumbs down. Did I get the movie quote wrong? If I did, please direct me to the correct one.

For a long time there wasn't a guide to what flavors were in the box, and even today not every box has one. It's a movie quote. Don't be one of those people.

CheekyRaccoon 27

#71 You're wrong, watch it again with decent headphones with a good quality video, then listen very carefully. I'll give you $10,000 if I'm wrong. However I won't have to because it's "was" not "is" and what's correct is my claims.

I think you might wanna get that check ready...

All silliness (on my part) aside, the raccoon is correct. It's "Life was like a box of chocolates ". And I just had to be one of those people for once. It felt good.

CheekyRaccoon 27

#80 You'd might want to check the quote yourself and be ready to be wrong.

TMO2142 25

doesnt help if you spin it >:)

CheekyRaccoon 27

Thank you #81 & 96. Well to those who were wrong, don't be like dark chocolate. There's no need to be so bitter. I'm off to run from state to state, I don't know why but I just feel like running.

That one word difference in the quote was totally worth arguing about for 10 comments

CheekyRaccoon 27

You seem a bit bitter there mate. Want some chocolates? There ain't no mo dark chowclate peices though, jennay ate them awll.

At the beginning he does say " mama always said life was like a box of chocolates" but that's an indirect quote. The direct quote of Forest Gump's mom would be "life IS like a box of chocolates". Past tense. Says becomes said. Is becomes was. The actual quote would say is, but Forest said was.

Lol. I'm sure the gentleman understood :).

nesteremily 31

Well that's not too bad, at least he didn't ask if he was an ape or something like that. I saw someone posted an FML like that once. Kids say the darnedest things!

When my son was little and saw an African immigrant selling our local street magazine, he loudly asked if that man was dirty. "Made of chocolat" sounds really sweet in comparison.

When I was three or four I got one of those happy meal barbies McDonalds used to have and she was black. I got upset and tried to wash it because I thought she was dirty.

Being that humans are apes, he would have been insulting to imply the black person wasn't.

Hopefully he saw the humor in it and thankfully your son didn't try to eat him

I mean, your son is 4. Has he been so sheltered that he has never seen an African American or is it just rare or something? But hopefully the guy didn't think too much of it since your son is little.

Hehehe, I'm guessing it's a bit of both. That they live in a city that isn't racially diverse, and perhaps won't let him watch tv or use the internet till he's older. Besides, even if he was informed, kids will still find ways to give funny remarks, lol. It's not uncommon for me (who lives in one of the most multi-racial cities in my country) to have kids point at me and loudly exclaim "Look mommy! It's a Chinese lady!" Like you said, they're so young that most don't think to much of it :P

Children especially that young generally say whatever they think. And some places don't have a lot of poc.

Back when I lived in MN the highschool I went to was about 99.5% white, or American Asian, and and I think there might have been 2 African American people there, so it could be just where they are currently living?

I'm 25, as a kid I knew one black guy and his mom was white. I lived in a small town, I went to a private school in that small town. Those days, all the black people in our town lived in one area of the town. I don't rememeber hearing and racism from my own immediate family (that came later in high school from other people. Racism is alive in the US today, majorly), it's just how I grew up. Now it's more diverse in our small town but it was mentioned about "those people" moving in, by an elderly neighbor when a black family moved in up the road last week, I don't know what he meant by it, but I'm sure it wasnt good. Nice family, too, they have a little girl my daughter's age, they've played everyday after school, she's very polite. I love to see that in a kid, shows they have good parents.

drayloon 50

When I was like 2, I did the exact same thing, but my mom couldn't speak English well at the time so we jus got off the bus at the next stop lol

To be fair if it wasn't for TV i'd be screwed. I didn't see a black person in real life until i was about 10 years old.

"they live in a city that isn't racially diverse" you know people can live places besides cities right? In rural US it seems pretty possible for a kid to grow up and only see white people. I grew up in a tiny town (when I say town I mean 1000 people) and there might have been less than 10 black people living there. In my elementary/high school there were probably like 2-3 black students.

Maybe he has seen African Americans before and he just always thought they were living chocolate people. He was biding his time until his chance finally came :D

In the area I live, I would guess the Black population is less than one percent.

I don't think parents who don't care about race would explain that to their children. Probably much more important stuff to teach them and if you don't care about someone's skin you just don't think about teaching your kids about it I guess.

Good thing he didn't ask to eat the man

Black man here. I personally think it would be hilarious if a kid just walked up to a dude and just gave him a massive slurp out of nowhere and be disappointed at a total lack of chocolate flavor.

That's absolutely adorable! I think anyone would understand that your son meant no harm.

Am I the only one who finds this amusing?

I don't know; let's put it to a vote! I'm currently submitting it to a website devoted to amusingly unfortunate stories.

This almost reminds me of an FML from a few years back where somebody got drunk and when he took a political science exam, he answered "Obama is a beautiful chocolate man" for every answer.

OMG I remember this. Wow we have been around for a while hahaha one of my favs

aint we old...I also remember this on stuck pixel's funny pics on some exam paper.