By 3,500 down - 07/05/2016 08:00 - United States - Altus

Today, my train departed over 10 minutes early. It was the last train of the day. I missed my transatlantic flight and along with it the vacation and concert I'd spent over a year saving for. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 562
You deserved it 2 718

Same thing different taste

Top comments

justcommenting19 19

No taxis, or other methods of transport? I seriously think you should've had a back up since we all know how unreliable buses can be sometimes... Really sorry OP.

Could you have gotten a lift from a mate or parents or anything? I'm sure you could've found another way there

Comments

justcommenting19 19

No taxis, or other methods of transport? I seriously think you should've had a back up since we all know how unreliable buses can be sometimes... Really sorry OP.

ABlindMan 17

Damnit #1 you had 1 job, it was a train not a bus :/

justcommenting19 19

Well, ****. I don't know how to read. My apologizes, folks!

Lol yeah. We have no taxis here so OP may live in an area without them as well. It sucks when you need a ride. I mean we have places that call themselves taxi businesses but you have to call them to send a cab out, wait 45 minuets, and pay for their gas they used coming to you and pay for the ride to where your going. It's like 30-40 bucks minimum.

$40 seems like a good usage of money vs how much was lost.

justcommenting19 19

I was outread by a blind man.

The OP is from Oklahoma. The only train is the Amtrak from OKC to Ft. Worth. I am assuming their flight was out of Dallas.

Could you have gotten a lift from a mate or parents or anything? I'm sure you could've found another way there

Thats terrible OP! If something that awful happened to you, then hopefully something better will be coming your way. Sorry for what happened <3

Karma: "That's not how it works! That's not how any of this works!"

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

@46: That depends. I don't know about Amtrak specifically, but if a train departing early unannounced causes you serious financial losses, it's time to ask for some compensation.

You always show up WAY early. YDI imo

Always be at least an hour early for stuff like that

GuiltyEren 11

That sucks but why would you arrive almost last minute to something like that?

I don't understand why a train would leave earlier than the posted time. Seriously, I have never heard of such a thing happening. Has anyone else experienced this?

Not so much with trains, but DEFINITELY busses. In Oxford it can be pretty obvious when the driver is reaching the same end of their shift. They leave before the scheduled time, run red lights and even drive past people who have hailed the bus!

It happens in some places. It's never supposed to. With public transit in NYC the general rule is they are expected to be late, but not allowed to be early.

I was thinking the same thing. In my experience, they either leave on time or late. That said, I don't get why OP would show up so late for something so important.

Not in Chicago. Trains and buses are forbidden to do so. In fact, I've been on a bus where they pulled over to the curb because they were going to be early. The driver said they're allowed to be late, but they can be written up for being early.

I do feel very sorry for you. But think you were incredibly unwise to rely on the last train of the day -especially if it was the only option available. There are too many opportunities for failure! (Trust me, UK trains are incredibly unreliable! ) There could have been engine failure, kids playing on the track, cuows and on the line, signal failure, another train breaking down blocking the line, end of drivers shift so he wants to get a move on, people who haven't paid for a ticket so the driver won't move until they get off or pay... Just a few things that I have experienced whilst travelling. :-)