By RIPJarJar - 20/10/2017 22:18

Today, my husband gave our three-year-old son a lesson on life and death. He did this by slaughtering our pet chicken for dinner in front of him. My son has been crying for hours. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 606
You deserved it 488

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think your husband may be a sociopath...

Wtf? You do not show that shit to a kid and the first time I seen that was when I was 17. Good job for traumatizing the poor kid :<

Comments

Wtf? You do not show that shit to a kid and the first time I seen that was when I was 17. Good job for traumatizing the poor kid :<

So why feed meat to children then, if you can't even show them how their food was "made"?

Ah yes, the old card of 'my kid doesn't understand X, so it must be evil!'. Because as we all know, kids are born with full knowledge of everything in the world, and school is just a way to let them express the true unifying theories of quantum and classic physics.

Why did the chicken cross the road? To stop from traumatising the small child (and avoid certain death!)

This is not the right way to teach a child about life and death. That chicken was meant to be a family pet, not dinner for the family.

ViviMage 38

Some people raise their own food, and once a hen stops laying she is Sunday night Roast Chicken. But that is not the impression I get here.

I think your husband may be a sociopath...

Your chicken was named Jar Jar? Your husband should have shown your kid a Star Wars movie with Jar Jar Binks in it and the kid would’ve strangled the chicken himself!

Alex Neiva 17

what?? what does jar jar have to do with this father murdering the family pet in front of his toddler son?

The OP's username is RIPJarJar. JarJar was probably the name of the poor chicken.

Based on this one show I watched, seeing things like that at an early age can give your child a "Dark Passenger" that will only leave at the conclusion of a protracted and unsatisfactory story arc.

That's cruel and seriously messed up... but I keep wondering... people keep chickens as pets? o.o

Yes. Chickens can be pets and provide eggs too. My late pediatrician had chickens as pets.

Suaria 38

I grew up with chickens as pets. My parents liked how they didn't have to buy eggs for a couple of years.

thehaystackerine 20

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
really_dad? 14

You never actually got around to saying what the "problem" was. You just echoed "pet chicken" and then tried to engage in "internet-tough-guy-by-proxy" (the only thing sadder than the run-of-the-mill internet tough guy) using your children. Try again. What precisely is the "problem" in a child crying because their parent intentionally killed one of their pets in front of them?

Sounds like the father of the year...

Wow, your "kids" sound so hardcore. Good job raising them.

really_dad? 14

"Our pet"? "slaughtered"? It sounds like you couldn't give a smaller **** about its life. Don't call your animals a pet if you can kill them with no hesitation. They are your barn animal. If he was your pet, however, your husband's a bigger dick for killing a beloved chicken in front of your child.

What in the heck are you talking about? Did we even read the same post? Where on earth did the OP say she could kill the chicken without a second thought? It's like you took the entire premise of the FML and included it as a hypothetical at the end of your post there like you'd read something that didn't just say exactly that.

"Our pet" implies that OP held affection toward the chicken. "Slaughtered" has negative connotations that imply she didn't approve of killing the chicken at all, not just him killing it in front of their child. Especially since it sounds like OP only found out what the husband had done AFTER he did it.

Lobby_Bee 17

More like a lesson on what's a pet animal and what's a dinner animal.

Every pet you've ever had was edible. They're all dinner animals. But I bet you'd have been upset if someone ate one of them.