By Happy Birthday - 10/07/2018 15:00

Today, my Dad gave me my birthday card. The envelope was blank, as was the card, and the £0.25 price tag was still on. He was fully aware of all these things, but handed it to me and said, "By the way, I didn't write anything." Happy birthday to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 575
You deserved it 245

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Save it and return as is on his birthday! Let’s see how long it can keep going.

People have some dysfunctional families. Makes me feel better about my own.

Comments

Save it and return as is on his birthday! Let’s see how long it can keep going.

I swear to God that the exact same thing happened to me for my birthday! My Dad is a total dick, a homophobe and an ableist, all of which means he hates me, but refuses to say if outright. He's also a pathological liar, who when giving me the card told me that he forgot to write anything, but the next day decided that it's actually an inside joke that he just forgot to tell me about. Anyway, little rant about life aside, that really sucks! Either reuse the card, or just do something equally as shitty for his own birthday, like a post-it note that says "I couldn't be bothered to buy a card" or something. Or take the high road and just get him something, but where's the fun in that?

People have some dysfunctional families. Makes me feel better about my own.

At least he put in enough mental effort to select a birthday card. I was half-expecting him to hand you a “condolences on the loss of your pet” card or a dry-cleaning receipt. Plot twist: Dad is a successful, widely-published poet.

Hes teaching you to use your imagination

So give it back to him on his birthday. In fact... recycle any card he gives you. Just cross out the words that don't apply.