By bitchypast - 27/01/2015 23:50 - United States - Rockland

Today, is the blizzard. I have to go into work, my boss threatened to fire me if I didn't show up. I sent him a picture of the snow completely covering my car. He said I moved the snow there and could move it back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 394
You deserved it 2 260

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ndnpride88 25

Idk if you are aware but if your state declares a state of emergency he/she cannot fire you for not showing up for work. Look it up to verify your state work laws during state emergencies. Good luck op.

Comments

May the laughs rain down upon you for this comment.

Op should send him pictures of the snow over everything else and the weather forecast too, maybe then he will get the drift...

What #19 would say to #41: "It was snow now rain".

The boss said there was Snow snow Ok I'll go now

That man has an icy heart. Good luck, OP. Drive safely!

TwinkleToes7 15

um.. why don't you do what normal people do, get the snow off your car? I don't understand the problem, not everyone can take off of work just because of snow.

MzZombicidal 36

Because it's a blizzard. That poses very dangerous driving conditions no matter where you're from. I'm sure when OP says it's covering their car, they mean COVERING.

Uhh.. I think the point of the picture was to show how much snow was there.. Not because OP is too lazy to clean the car, OP is probably more worried about road conditions, and I believe the east coast was getting 2' of snow so..

I can tell you probably live in a state or country where you don't get snow, because it's not so easy getting snow off of your car, especially during a blizzard.

TwinkleToes7 15

No we got snow where I live and I cleaned and it and drove to work. I understand it was a blizzard but if OP lives where it snows then they plowed the roads.

I live in Hawaii, and even I understand the problem OP is facing. Sure, you can take the snow off the car. Then what? Drive in potentially dangerous conditions? Who knows if OP works miles from home? Has that not crossed your mind? And even if you "didn't understand" OP's point of view, your initial comment sounded quite condescending. Just try to speak more politely towards others, especially if they aren't having a good day (hence the FML).

I live in a pretty snowy city (snowiest by population in fact for the U.S.), and I sure as hell know that our DOT does basically nothing when it blizzards because everything is shut down, so they wait until the storm is over and then start plowing.

I live deep in the Colorado Rockies, where blizzards are such a part of life that we have been snickering meanly at the East Coast's misfortune, and I get why OP can't go to work. Not every state has reams of snow-removal trucks on hand. Even if OP could un-bury the car in less than half a day, which sounds unlikely from I've heard about the snowfall totals, the roads are probably impassable by anything without ridiculous ground clearance.

Here's an example.A blizzard where you can't see like 2 feet in front of you, would you still go out to clean your car and drive to work under such conditions knowing you may risk your safety out in the road?

Uh, are you forgetting that they got like TWO FEET of snow?! A lot of states declared an emergency meaning, OP cannot legally get fired anyway AND it's an EMERGENCY!!! It doesn't matter if OP was able to clean off their car, the point is, nobody is going to be out in 70mph winds plowing the roads because the snow will blow right back where they plowed. You're acting like two feet of snow is no big deal to an area of the U.S. that isn't used to this weather. They probably don't have the amount of plows that Wisconsin and Illinois do.

Are you even from the North East? If you're from some place like Dallas then yeah you can brush the snow off but do you know what a blizzard is?? The car is under the snow. It's not something you can just brush off. And if car is that bad then the roads are worse.

I don't own a car, and luckily these sorts of things aren't too common where I live, but really, I get why OP might not be able to clean off his/her car and drive to work. I heard that Boston, at least, had a travel ban, which I assume means that everyone but essential personnel (like police and other first responders) had to be off the roads. I don't know if this occurred where OP lived. But in hazardous conditions like this, only the most heartless of employers would demand that a staffer come to work.

GhostDuck 30

Hey, someone from New England here. In my area we got about 2.5 feet of snow, and my state had a travel ban. Unless you were essential personnel, you could get a $500 fine for driving. Plus, it also depends on where/ what type of street OP lives on. Side streets don't get plowed as often (in my area anyways), and if OP lives on a hill like me or an incline, it's very daunting to drive down that, especially if they don't have a car better suited for it. In the span of my shoveling for an hour, three cars got stuck on my street, not paying attention to the travel ban. So no, not everyone can just clear off their car and get over it or whatever.

Maybe OP lives off the beaten path so to speak. I've lived in Pennsylvania all of my life and there are some areas that just aren't attended to snow plows that well. A few cousins in the mountains only have their main road plowed once a day even when the snow is really coming down. I know some areas of high way where white outs happen so often in winter that you don't want to drive on them in anything over light snow. Ice can also be a huge issue if OP lives in a place where things like to melt a bit and then freeze again quickly. Who knows if the work place is even is a major area?

Alright genius, why don't you do what everyone else does and watch a news report every once in awhile. Then maybe you'd know that we got 2 feet of snow here and have been trapped in our homes. I don't see a problem with that.

What everyone seems to be unaware of is that they placed a travel ban and declared state of emergency. That means the boss is breaking the law for opening and is making employees break the law to get there. We can't just get up and go we were by law not allowed

ndnpride88 25

Idk if you are aware but if your state declares a state of emergency he/she cannot fire you for not showing up for work. Look it up to verify your state work laws during state emergencies. Good luck op.

Definitely depends on which state. Many have "at will employment", which basically means you're ******.

True, but in those states, you're funked anyway.

Send him a video and show him the entire landscape. If he still doesn't believe you, I recommend you quit. He sounds like an ignorant asshole.

marcmaralou 15

oh come onnn, his response was pretty funny

He's threatening to fire him because he can't come into work during a BLIZZARD that has caused over 2 feet of snow, please explain how that is funny.

Weigh out the pros and cons of losing sleep to clean your car; or spend the cash, grab the boots and take a cab to work- that's if the streets are plowed. If the streets aren't plowed and salted and you still show up, I'd mention hazard pay. I've been there before- I'm sorry you have to deal with this situation. Snow is evil and all the snowmen of our childhood lied to us.

Yeah but if Maine declared a state of emergency then he can't be fired. Even if Maine hasn't he should at least contact HR or if his boss has one then OP should contact his boss.

This assumes that OP could even GET a cab. They probably aren't on the roads in the middle of a blizzard either.

Plus a lot towns don't really have cabs as a valid method of transportation. I think in the five towns around where I live there is only one or two cabs.