By I'veRunOuttaPatience - 07/06/2018 20:42

Today, instead of having until the end of June to find another apartment because my landlord is selling the place, I was told that the buyer paid cash and I now have 10 days to get out. I'm a flight attendant and will be out of town for 8 of those days. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 916
You deserved it 225

I'veRunOuttaPatience tells us more.

I'veRunOuttaPatience 11

There's no formal agreement. The owner is a pilot, and he set up this townhouse as a "crashpad" which is common for flight attendants to use because we 1) get paid very little and it's cheap 2) dont mind sharing space because we are literally gone 70% of the month and 3) pay month to month since most of us dont know how long we will be in our current bases. He told us he decided to close the crashpad and sell, but the contracts would need 60 days to go through, which would have been true if the buyer had not paid in cash.

Top comments

This is probably too late, but depending on where you live and what your rental agreement situation is you still have rights. The shortest amount of time I've heard of is 15 days but usually it's longer. I'm not a lawyer though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The ultimate decision: Fight or Flight?

Comments

This is probably too late, but depending on where you live and what your rental agreement situation is you still have rights. The shortest amount of time I've heard of is 15 days but usually it's longer. I'm not a lawyer though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I'veRunOuttaPatience 11

There's no formal agreement. The owner is a pilot, and he set up this townhouse as a "crashpad" which is common for flight attendants to use because we 1) get paid very little and it's cheap 2) dont mind sharing space because we are literally gone 70% of the month and 3) pay month to month since most of us dont know how long we will be in our current bases. He told us he decided to close the crashpad and sell, but the contracts would need 60 days to go through, which would have been true if the buyer had not paid in cash.

You should look into the eviction requirements of a tendency-at-will for your state. Even without a lease, there are still some legal protections.

Where do you live? Depending on the country and state, even without a formal agreement if you've lived there long enough and can prove it, you still have rights and they still need to provide sufficient notice. I'd suggest seeking some free legal advice on the matter.

I'm a Pennsylvania landlord, and in this state, you have rights. I've done what they are doing many times - bluffing to get people out faster than the legal process allows. (I bluff when they aren't paying rent and not looking for a way to start paying rent again). In PA you have a default lease when there's no signed contract. It gives you the right to an eviction process. That means they need to need to give you a "notice to quit" that in your case should give you 15 days. You can stay past that, but doing so may cause the landlord to really start to not like you and will encourage them to reclaim financial loses from you. 5-10 days out for the magistrate; 10 days to appeal (can add months); 5-10 days to be kicked to the curb legally. (I always forget which of the above days are business days - so double check).

Time to hit the Craigslist for some shady deals ! And who knows, you might get lucky !

The ultimate decision: Fight or Flight?

Put your shit in a self-storage unit and AirBnB until you find a more permanent place. You’re welcome. Without my sage advice, you’d be worse off than the Bangladeshi sewer diver!

I mean there was this one episode of 2 broke girls where a guy literally lived in a dumpster! Just saying xD

Static36 2

This is not Legal Advice. I am not your lawyer. But, that is most likely illegal. Most states require at least one full payment perood of notice that the lease is terminated. That means if you pay rent monthly, they must give you at least a months notice that your lease is terminated. if you pay rent weekly, they must give you one weeks notice. Yearly rent -- they have to give you a whole years notice. You should absolutely fight this and perhaps talk to a lawyer about your options.

Who would ever pay a year's rent up front? That's thousands of dollars....

Before I bought my house, I always paid rent for my apartments yearly, this way I never had to worry about the rent being due. With my house, I signed a 30 year mortgage and paid it off in 13 years. I prioritized with my money

azouwa 26

Cool. Same here. I'm on a 30 year payment plan. 6 years in. I think I might finish paying in under 15 years. I'm tight with my money.