By mathguy - 03/05/2012 12:16 - United States - Green Bay

Today, I went for a job interview for a building position at a retail store. They saw on my application that I was good at math. They asked me what the circumference of a circle is. Being nervous during the interview, I accidentally said the area of a circle. I didn't get the job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 340
You deserved it 7 357

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Staymintyfresh - Are you in the slow grammar class?

It's pi, you guys. Pie is food, pi is a number.

Comments

perdix 29

C = 2*pi*r = pi*d Area is pie are square, but that's a lie, because pie are round, except at McDonald's, where they are rectangular. In Louisiana, pi = 3. It's the law.

And did you know trapezoids are actually traps to catch ancient creatures called zoids? True story!! Gosh my geometry teacher had problems...

its ok buddy..I'm sure you are gonna stand tall

Retail store... It does not happen to sell cakes or hula hoops, I hope

I hate it when nervousness gets the best of me. Sorry OP, hopefully you'll get another interview.

Finnick_fml 12

They didn't hire you because of one small math mistake, when you have to submit a bunch of papers/information in order to apply for a job....? Wow, doesn't sound like a company worth working at.

bfsd42 20

A building job means a construction job. So knowing the answer to this question is kinda important. I wouldn't want to use a company that hires people who can't answer a basic job related question. Op deserved it.

^Apparently you never heard of nervousness, right?

bfsd42 20

Yes, I have heard of nervousness. And I have also heard that during a job interview, it is a good idea to sell your knowledge and skills without messing it up. Being nervous may be a good reason for op not getting the job, but it is not a good excuse.

OhDearBetrayal 25

49- Apparently you've also never heard of the fact that mistakes made when you're nervous isn't an indicator of your knowledge. I'd hate to get an interviewer like you.

Apparently, you have never been nervous because saying pi(r)^2 instead of 2pi(r) (or pi(d)) seems perfectly reasonable under pressure.

34- op applied for retail, not construction.

84 - "for a building position at a retail store". Sounds like construction to me.

Kaito_Hacker 6

well, in a typical hiring process, op won't be the only candidate and the company just chose the person who did a better job in the interview than op did. i don't think just because op didn't get hired make the company an unworthy one

Epikouros 31

What's a building position at a retail store? Does it involve constructing circular objects from scratch?

PYLrulz 17

Typically, that would be worth a YDI vote, but I can get being nervous, especially if it was the very first time going for a job like that. FYL.

I may sound like a square or a bit obtuse, but don't get yourself worked up about it. Just regroup, circle the wagons, and maybe get yourself some pi. Or go to a bar and find acute girl for a fun time. Look at this from a positive angle - at least you learned something.

At least you didn't give them the square root.