By singleasapringle - 13/03/2016 06:41 - United States - Brooklyn

Today, I went back to my high school for an event with some of my friends, both of which are in relationships. Whilst there we saw our favorite teacher, who hugged us and said, "I heard you have a boyfriend! And so do you!" And then she turned to me and said, "And... And you're doing great things!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 938
You deserved it 1 843

Same thing different taste

Top comments

KayleeFrye 39

I hate how so many people seem to think that having a relationship is the most important thing. Yes, it is nice to have a romantic partner. But just because someone doesn't have one doesn't make them some kind of loser!

nonsensical 26

Don't take it to heart! So many people are single! Nothing wrong with it, I'm sure your old teacher felt super awkward after she realized she had nothing to say right off the bat about you

Comments

KayleeFrye 39

I hate how so many people seem to think that having a relationship is the most important thing. Yes, it is nice to have a romantic partner. But just because someone doesn't have one doesn't make them some kind of loser!

Its a YDI from me. Why is the OP obsessing over such things. Obviously the teacher said youre doing great things..

Because it was obvious that the teacher was trying to come up with something? You don't have to care about your relationship status to be upset and find it awkward that someone randomly threw together a compliment for you and didn't really mean it. Though op: if someone views relationships over actual achievements you made try not to worry about what they think. It's hard, but people are worth more than being someone's girlfriend.

There's no need to rush into a relationship! I'm sure that you will be fine!

nonsensical 26

Don't take it to heart! So many people are single! Nothing wrong with it, I'm sure your old teacher felt super awkward after she realized she had nothing to say right off the bat about you

If you're doing great things on your own you don't need no man!

Preach! People act like having a man/woman is the end-all, be-all of existence, when, in reality, it can be very burdensome to many people, particularly if the other person isn't on the same wavelength as you and doesn't understand what you want or need. OP, set your own bar high, and **** the haters (not literally).

Go buy some Pringles and share them with a cute guy, and then you will no longer be single ... Also, why is your high school teacher keeping tabs on her students' relationship statuses?

Maybe those students and that teacher are friends on Facebook or some other form of social media.

Why is it considered mandatory to have a boyfriend in your opinion #5? The girl is young, still in high school or maybe just finished. She lives in the USA where everybody is considered equal in front of the law. She doesn't have to be in a relationship to be allowed to study or work. If she feels like a "leper" because she's not in a relationship, then it's her environment that hasn't gotten the spirit of equality. What the hell is wrong with her teacher virtually putting her down for not having a boyfriend? Would have certainly been enough to say "Good to see you girls, how have you all been doing?"

While in some parts of the world women are nothing without a man, consider yourself lucky to be in such a liberal society. And if you are still in high school or just finished, what are you even worried about? It's not like you have an expiration date stamped on your coochie... Do your stuff and let it happen the natural way, DO NOT go for the first loser that wants to shag you. Make friends first, hang out and then decide if you even like the guy.

Good advice, too bad so many people don't think like this.

mwali02 32

Agreed. If you are doing great things OP, take pride in that. Smile and nod, and keep enjoying your life. Don't let this incident get you down, and don't let yourself get desperate simply to conform to norms imposed by others. You've got this! :)

There is so much more to life than having a boyfriend, OP. Besides, he'd just be a distraction from all the other great things you're doing! :D

I'd prefer doing great things to having a boyfriend! Being in a relationship isn't vital :))

Girls who think their boyfriend is the best thing about them are often pretty boring, I'm sure your friends don't think they're better than you just because of that. Congrats on doing great things, they sound much more interesting than your relationship status!