By anonymous - 19/11/2016 18:35 - Canada - New Westminster

Today, I was eating lunch on my first date with a really pretty girl, when my ex shows up at the same restaurant and starts telling her how bad of a boyfriend I was. My date left. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 360
You deserved it 1 501

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This FML is tricky, I don't know what to vote. Your ex could really have been terrible or maybe you were actually a bad boyfriend..

If she's gonna believe some girl that just showed up without giving you a chance you're better off anyway.

Comments

i'm sorry OP, there's plenty of fish in the sea!

lee47_fml 6

That is stalking, very bad physiological sign also. Get a restraining order.

It also could have just been them running into each other unexpectedly.

Nah, Nikki, let's go with the overreaction and see where it leads. It might be fun!

tounces7 27

Being in the same restaurant doesn't require his Ex to come over to his table. So yeah, sounds like Stalking, otherwise she would have just avoided him or left.

It's her own loss. If she was more willing to blindly listen to someone else's opinion than to stay and form her own, she wasn't worth the effort anyway.

Or more likely, she just didn't want to get caught in the middle of OP and his ex's drama.

If she's gonna believe some girl that just showed up without giving you a chance you're better off anyway.

hellobobismyname 24

But just imagine you're on a first date, and already there's a crazy ex starting drama. Sometimes people don't want to get caught up in that. I doubt it was because she took the ex's side and believed her. My had a friend whose boyfriend's crazy ex was always around and harassing her. To most, a crazy ex is a red flag. Unfortunate for OP, but I don't blame the girl.

If she followed you to your date, a restraining order wouldn't be unreasonable.

If I were you I'd just wait until your ex was on a date and do the same thing.

I clicked both "YDI" and "FYL" because whether you deserve it or not depends upon whether or not you really were a bad boyfriend.

This FML is tricky, I don't know what to vote. Your ex could really have been terrible or maybe you were actually a bad boyfriend..

qwertycode 19

I still think it's an FML regardless of whether OP was a good or bad boyfriend simply because the potential girlfriend should've been given the opportunity to decide for herself whether OP is good or not, not hear it from an ex who would obviously be biased.

#12, If OP is not necessarily a bad person, but that he and the ex were just bad for each other- you have a good point. But if the ex was warning the new girl about theft, cheating, or especially a history of abuse in their past relationship-that's different. The new girl has a right to know. It would actually be unfair NOT to tell her.

#12) Exes can be very biased but they can also be very right about their exes too. I know that's my ex-boyfriend, for example, is a guy who hunts for certain types of girls and wants to convert them forcefully and he verbally abuses them until they fall apart. BUT, I also know my ex doesn't show his true colours until much later. So basically, scenario 1) I walk into a restaurant, see him with some girl who is about to get pounced on.. And I feel the urge to save the girl from him. And I speak my mind. Or, scenario 2) My ex actually wasn't the crazy converter, and I'm just a jealous ex and saw him with a girl and wanted to destroy things. -- So, knowing the background of the story really matters. It's only FHL if he's actually a good person. There's just this stereotype that exes are "liars, crazy, obsessive, jealous" and so on. This is NOT always the case. It's always important to remember that there are two types of exes too and not stereotype that their opinions are baseless because they're "biased". Well.. Yes, my opinions ARE biased for my ex who abused me. But they're also correct and he IS like that. Hope that explains everything. Cheers.

That epic Canadian politeness! We rude-ass Americans would tell the ex to get the **** away!

Speak for yourself. I'm not getting into a shouting match with a stranger in public over some guy I just met.

You wouldn't shout, you'd growl it menacingly in her ear, like a bad-ass.

You must feel so manly. How appropriate your name is actually Pencil Dick.

It's not my actual name, it's one I chose for humorous effect.

Another possibility is the date didn't want your "baggage" hanging around or stalking you (and her).