By Anonymous - 04/10/2014 10:00 - New Zealand - Christchurch

Today, I told my mom that once I leave school, I want to join the clergy, and how much it meant to me. Her response: "Never knew you wanted to molest kids so much!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 593
You deserved it 8 399

Nonethnx tells us more.

Hi guys, this is OP :) I've come back to give a little update about my life since this FML was posted. So, I wrote this when I was 14 years old, and I am now 17. I have always wanted to have a career helping people. That ideology has never left me, and probably never will. In the past three years, I have partaken in discussions and done my own research, and I have come to the conclusion that religion is not for me. Originally I wanted to be a priest, however I no longer wish to continue down that path. Once I have completed high school, I plan to enter medical school. Doctors Without Borders is the main goal I'm aiming for. The belief that I was put on this earth to help and serve my fellow man, is an ideology that was given to me by religion. This belief has always stuck with me, even though my faith has not. Reading some of the comments on my post, I also wanted to mention that I am gay, and I have never had any conflict between my sexuality and religious beliefs in the past, and to this day, I have not experienced any 'hateful dogma' from the church. The only person who has given me grief was my mother - she has not supported me in the past, and she does not support me now. We get along as friends, but behind her 'funny' FML worthy quips, she can be quite hurtful. Religion provided me with comfort and support when my family did not. These days, I find that same solace in helping others. I don't know if anyone will read this, but if they do, thanks for taking the time to hear my story! If anyone replies, I can only hope that I'll read it and reply before another 3 years has passed. Thanks again! -OP

Top comments

Blebber 4

If you want to join the clergy of the catholic church you are required to go to divinity school and get yourself a theology degree, it works the same for Anglicans, Presbyterians not only require a theology degree but also ask that you get yourself elected by the other elders. So maybe her resistance is because it doesn't work that way OP, unless what you've been studying is theology. P.S:If anyone is wondering why I picked those 3 branches of Christianity: it's because they are the only ones with a real presence in New Zealand.

llamarrama01 21

Guess you have to do it without her support :/.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

This appears to be the "Canadian" sorry. In Canada sorry is a common term of sympathy or an acknowledgement that something sucks rather than an admission of guilt or fault. i.e. I feel sorry for you. So its entirely possible that yes, she is sorry for OP.

llamarrama01 21

Guess you have to do it without her support :/.

JMichael 25
titandesu 14
Blebber 4

If you want to join the clergy of the catholic church you are required to go to divinity school and get yourself a theology degree, it works the same for Anglicans, Presbyterians not only require a theology degree but also ask that you get yourself elected by the other elders. So maybe her resistance is because it doesn't work that way OP, unless what you've been studying is theology. P.S:If anyone is wondering why I picked those 3 branches of Christianity: it's because they are the only ones with a real presence in New Zealand.

To be fair, when you ask most kids what they want to do when they leave school and they say they want to be a doctor or lawyer or engineer or whatever they don't mean that they think they can enter those careers straight after high school. They mean that they're going to study and work their way up towards that position because that's the position they want to be in eventually. OP probably meant the same thing.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if this path means so much to him, he already knows what he needs to do. It's not like it's hard to type "how to become a clergyman" into Google. I found it a little condescending that you just automatically assumed OP thought he would just magically become a clergyman because he wanted to.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
martin8337 35

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Don't let that discourage you from following your dreams OP.

It's sad how the acts of few corrupted and extremists have destroyed peoples thought of religion. I get it, some religions have just plainly stupid traditions, and have been used to justify everything that the religion truly was against. I'm at a point that I believe in and follow Christ, but I don't even want to identify as Christian or anything else, just because of some of the people who claim that they are Christian. Saying it is not the same as acting it. If you're going to say you're Christian, at least behave like it. If someone else makes a choice, it's their choice. If you're close enough to them that they want to hear your opinion, great, tell them. But for the most part, back off! It's their decision! Love others regardless of whether that've made the same choices as you! And it's annoying when someone try's to convert you or force their religion on you. Here's an idea! If I'm interested, I'll ask. Bringing it up is okay, and even asking me about my own views is okay. But if I say no, that means no! So drop it! Note: I'm not trying to advertise or enforce my beliefs. It's just my opinion on some of this. Sorry for the amount of typing.

nixieduck 9

If all religious people thought the same as you, then I wouldn't be so appalled by religion .

Fair call #15. I fear the belief of some grammar extremists may have led to the down votes

I hate how those grammar extremists are always enforcing their views on others, or trying to covert others that use poor grammar.