By oh... - 20/10/2013 20:34 - United States - Springfield

Today, I realized that when my dad said he would pay for my college, he really meant that he was going to forge my signature on a student loan in my name and not make payments on it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 394
You deserved it 3 606

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't know how close you are to your dad, but that's a serious crime and you should be making a police report.

Comments

michaelaranda 28

hopefully everything works out for op. I mean, what ops dad did is not only a criminal thing, it can mess up your credit score. whatever happens op, best of luck.

10 - it will be hard to prove without a confession from the father because OP benefited from the forgery. He was able to pay his education with that loan so it will be hard to prove.

michaelaranda 28

well, if op confronts his dad, his dad will probably confess

20 - you really think dad that forges a signature will confess and pay the load. I wouldn't put my money on it.

that's dumb. he is your dad. he should support you. sorry op. I know how you feel :/

46 - if he is going to college then he is an adult so his father does not have to support him.

saraitkddh 47

it really sucks when family members are cruel like this, sorry OP

A lot of dads have been sucking on FML lately , first with the toenails in the food, then with showing inappropriate pictures, to this . I wonder what's next :p

#53 Not necessarily. I started college at age 16. I was still a minor, so yes they still had to support me.

It's your college education, he's not receiving any benefit from it. Pull up your pants and accept the responsibility.

I don't know how close you are to your dad, but that's a serious crime and you should be making a police report.

oj101 33

In theory, yes - but why would anyone want to send their parents to jail? Because they love their moral principles more than their family? And especially if he hasn't already done it and it is a relatively minor crime.

Ari1337 15

well I love my credit score more than I love a dad that's willing to **** it over.

repKyle95 24

Honestly, I would ABSOLUTELY throw either of my parents in jail (or anyone else for that matter) if they were screwing me over/stabbing me in the back in a criminal way. Problem is, if people realize that you'll let them get away with things like this simply because they're family or you have some sort of sentimental attachment to them, they will repeat the behavior because they know you won't do anything about it. You have to look out for yourself first - if someone you're close to is taking advantage of you, you need to cut off the strings ASAP, or let them know in some other form that the behavior will not be tolerated. If people feel the need to downvote me to hell for this, that's fine.

fucMyLifeSoHard 18

13- I love my dad, but I love my future and my credit score more. If OPs dad is willing to **** them over, they obviously don't have a good relationship to start with.

Why should OP let their dad get away with (potentially) trashing their credit score? That sort of thing stays with you for life and I doubt that it's going to be easy for them to undo the damage that dear old dad did. Depending on how long it has been going on, this could affect their ability to buy a house or car among other things. OP's dad should have been up front with them about it and told them he wasn't able or willing to pay at that point in his life, not lie like a child. Parent or not, I'd definitely be reportng just so that I'd have a chance at undoing some of the damage.

buttcramp 21

for real, You teach people how to treat you

13, I would not hesitate to throw my dad in jail. He has been a complete ass to my older brother and is now royally screwing up my chances of affording college. He's also lied in court while under oath, he fakes his income to pay next to nothing for child support, and multiple other things. There comes a point when a parent becomes nothing more than a sperm donor after they treat you that bad for so long.

#13 Forging someone's signature on a legal and/or financial document such as that is hardly a "relatively minor crime", though.

#13 I know damn well my mom would tell the feds that I did something like this. Not all families are "we'll stand at each others side til' the end"

tekneeq 10

Have fun paying your own rent, paying for your own car, bills like your cell phone, internet, utilities and expenses like food and gas. Speaking you are a teen still living with your parents. You'd be out on your ass. But hey I was on my own since 18. So I know it's more of a struggle the last 9 years standing up being independent than being cozy at home not worrying about a damn thing. My sister is doing that -- she's 10 years older than me.

rebellionwars 11
Ch_rae5 19

if my dad did that i'd forge his signature and do the same thing to him

Maybe you'd end up in a prison cell together, that'd be neat.

\ 28

What happened to the morals that define a person as a father, not just a person who jizzed in the right hole?

emirie 21

Father of the year. Maybe you can go to the bank and prove you didn't sign the loan? I'm surprised he got a loan in your name without proof of identification.

Depending on the source of the loan, the deception can be fairly easy to accomplish. All of my student loan applications took place entirely online via my schools' websites. As the father, he has access to a lot of the security information (DOB, SSN, etc.) they would typically ask for to ensure a person's identity.

emirie 21

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just shocked that this can still happen. It's appalling.

Technically he did pay for it. Just not with his money. Or legally.

Go to the bank and dispute it, let them know it wasn't you. It's terrible that he couldn't just be straight up honest with you

Forge his signature and get a second mortgage on his house.

Forge his signature and get a NEW house.

tekneeq 10

What if he's $25,000 in debt and they live in an apartment. Broke with bad credit, hence the loan

Nice way to welcome you to college.

rebellionwars 11

How is he or she going to get into college when her father won't pay the loans? Where's the logic in that?

RedPillSucks 31

The college loans I had didn't need to be paid till after I graduated

As far as I know colleges do not factor debt into admissions decisions(speaking from experience: 3 different colleges, 3 different degrees). It's the lack of the ability to pay for classes and living expenses that will be the issue. Doesn't stop the fact that OP's dad sucks and is shackling his child with debt before he can even try and better himself.

rebellionwars 11

And you do realize not all colleges are like that?

That's a great way for him to welcome you to college.