By Anonymous - 13/12/2010 03:03 - Korea Republic of

Today, I met my boyfriend's very strict and traditional Korean parents. I had to listen to them while they called me a skank and how I was fat and ugly compared to nice, pretty, Korean girls. They don't know I speak Korean. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 901
You deserved it 3 574

Same thing different taste

Top comments

SourCandyyz 0

you should've been like "uhm, thank you?" in korean :)

just say "uh....I speak Korean, thanks"..... but say it in Korean and make them feel like a bunch of a-holes!

Comments

SourCandyyz 0

you should've been like "uhm, thank you?" in korean :)

That would be "kamsahamida." I'm half South Korean....kekekekeke!

Yeah I agree. Should have just stabbed one of them...

umm how about they knew that you were Korean and just didn't care. Ever ponder on that.

ha. I had people talk about me right in front of me at my old job. but they were saying nice things. mostly. and they were trying to guess where I was from. but yeah I turned red. it was awkward.

thesunsetglow_fml 8

Hahaha I can relate to the op!.. My boyfriend is Korean and I'm Italian, but I learned to speak Korean for them because I knew they would be judgemental about that... op you should have whipped out the Korean right away! They wouldn't have had a chance to judge, they would be too impressed with the fact that a white girl was speaking Korean :)

darkaqua3498 3

I know huh she should've said thank u in Korean n see what they would do lol man that's messed up n the bf didn't do anything???

나쁜 것입니다 하하, 그들의 개를 먹음으로써 그들을 되찾는

aww come on! if you read Korean you would know that I didn't say anything bad!

Just tell them you play StarCraft. Then you should instantly gain their respect.

ayye family guy! I'm from Melbourne too! just thought I'd let you know. choice pic btw lol

all melbournians are awesome in my book...except collingwood supports LOL

Haha FYL. I'm Korean but I was born here, and my parents grew up in America. Good thing, too.

VertigoSD 0

Nice touch of racism! win!!!!

angelofmusik22 0

that's a very good point. why DIDN'T the bf do anything? :/

enroutetothesky 0

Oh really?? I'm Korean but I was born and raised in Canada. I have been in so many situations where people just automatically assume I don't speak English so they start speaking smack about me, in English, right in front of me. Or when I say "Excuse me?" because I didn't hear them (not because I didn't understand them) and the person starts speaking louder and slower, like I'm stupid. It goes both ways so don't go making assumptions and generalizations.

Action_Bastard 0

Oh man I feel for you OP. My ex was Korean and her parents were so traiditional that they even started dropping racial hints in the conversations. -____- boy that sucked.

my friend speaks Hindi in the car with his uncle all the time and I feel really awkward because for all I know they could be talking about the weather, dinner, or calling me a bitch. At least you had the upper hand here. :)

ah...im korean and although my parents arent "traditional" i can totally see them embarassing me with their korean ways when a bring a boy home (and not the "ooh lets look at her baby pictures way" but the "what ethnicity are you? whats your grade point average? do you do drugs?" kind of way.)

just say "uh....I speak Korean, thanks"..... but say it in Korean and make them feel like a bunch of a-holes!

Then they would just start saying it all to her face though.:P

third? and you shoulda talked back on Korean ^_^

thisgirl2u 9

That is terrible! :( You would think that your boyfriend would tell them that you can speak Korean and you can understand what they are saying. You would also think that he would tell them not to speak that way about you. :/ Unless, your boyfriend doesn't know and you thought you were being sneaky by keeping this from him. If that is the case then shame on you for trying to eavesdrop. ;)

^this. I mean if she's meeting the parents you'd think he knows and that's awkward if he sat there and let them insult her. and even if she doesn't understand it's still wrong to let them just say those things.

her boyfriend should have said something to his parents

RedPillSucks 31

Strict and traditional means that he keeps his mouth shut and doesn't disrespect his parents. Although, I guess he's already done that by dating a non-korean, so he should just go "all in"

Maybe he wasn't in the room when they were talking about her.

shycricket 0

Next time you are over you should say something like "hello how are you, nice day isn't it?" in Korean. Something like that. I don't know.

gotta love ur pro pic :) what's it from? oh and I'm Korean also 좃밥들아.

loving the name. How I met your mother is such an epic tv show

You should've said something in Korean to REALLY freak their shit out and make them feel like assholes. Haha.

liontigerfan 0

You hve shouldve said sumthing nasty back in Korean

Qluz 3

aah. for revenge. you can steal all of their kimchi and feed it to the poor

Not the kimchi!! There are LINES that should not be crossed!

takeapieandrun 9

So you're posting this from Korea, but your boyfriend's parents assumed you didn't know Korean?

She could be an American stationed there and it would be perfectly normal for her not to speak Korean.

yeah. there are tons of people here that don't know Korean.