By MoMoneyMoProblems - 07/08/2014 08:23 - Ireland - Dublin

Today, I managed to get a €5 note tangled in the zip on my purse. I couldn't open it without ripping it to shreds. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 476
You deserved it 5 243

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well at least it wasn't worth much more than 5€!

Don't you have a wallet to prevent that from happening?

Comments

Well at least it wasn't worth much more than 5€!

Wow that purse must've been cheap then ;P

Maybe that's the only money she had on her though

It doesn't matter even if it was worth more than €5. If you take damaged currency to bank, they can replace it for you.

Don't you have a wallet to prevent that from happening?

OP is from Ireland. "Purse" means a bag in American English (where people would say "handbag" in British English), but it can mean a little pouch or wallet where you put your money in British English. I'm not sure but maybe that's why?

That is most likely it, over here we would never say purse for the bag. The only time it's ever really used in a bag related context is when someone wants you to pass their handbag so they can get their purse out. It's also only women that call them purses, men call their ones wallets.

d_g_Asm 7

Its only 5€ not enough to really be an FML.

That sucks. Next time put your money in your wallet.

A purse is a wallet in the UK. A purse in the US is a handbag here.

juturnaamo 29

They don't use € in the UK, they use £.

They don't use pounds everywhere in the UK, Ireland uses euros

Southern Ireland still speak British English, where they use €

I'm well aware it's not actually part of the UK, but it was the simplest way of saying it to make my point, which I think is fairly obvious. It's not a geography class. A wallet is still called a purse in Ireland, and a purse is called a handbag. In the same way that Canadians say purse instead of handbag and wallet instead of purse, it's far easier to simply say that they are Americanisms.

It could be worse, but like #6 said, it's still money though.. Sorry OP.

Well depending on how much of it was gone it still could have been spent...but this seems like it's gone...

jack_jill05 14

you could buy a lot of ramen with that.

Tape it back together... It'll still be worth the same.

imessedupagain 9

That was the most amazing comment ever