By Anonymous - 09/02/2016 23:21 - United Kingdom - London

Today, I had to give up going to a therapist because it was too expensive and my parents couldn't afford it. Meanwhile, a girl in my class is getting a therapist for her dog. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 955
You deserved it 1 688

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How would that even work? Therapist: how's life? dog: ruff

You should try the app "What's up?" It helps with many mental disabilities (depression and anxiety, just to name a few) If you search hard enough, you might find a therapist who would be nice enough to volunteer to help you out. I searched for one, and eventually found one who volunteers to help me. I hope the same for you. Good luck on your journey, I hope the best for you!

Comments

How would that even work? Therapist: how's life? dog: ruff

mm12344 8

"My human keeps pretending to throw the ball, but then hides it behind his back as I run to go get it. It's deeply insulting"

Cyrus00 41

"Someone in the family keeps breaking wind and blaming me! It's starting to affect my self confidence..."

Therapist: Why did he yell at you? Dog: I peed on the rug, ate his slippers and made love to his pillow. I don't see the problem...

A man and his dog walk into a bar. The man proclaims, "I'll bet you a round of drinks that my dog can talk." Bartender: "Yeah! Sure...go ahead." Man: "What covers a house?" Dog: "Roof!" Man: "How does sandpaper feel?" Dog: "Rough!" Man: "Who was the greatest ball player of all time?" Dog: "Ruth!" Man: "Pay up. I told you he could talk." The bartender, annoyed at this point, throws both of them out the door. Sitting on the sidewalk, the dog looks at the guy and says, "or is the greatest player Mantle?" "

You should try the app "What's up?" It helps with many mental disabilities (depression and anxiety, just to name a few) If you search hard enough, you might find a therapist who would be nice enough to volunteer to help you out. I searched for one, and eventually found one who volunteers to help me. I hope the same for you. Good luck on your journey, I hope the best for you!

#24 My bad! I felt it was appropriate to say "mental disabilities" because my University and my therapist refers to them as so. Perhaps they can be considered both an illness and a disability. (I mean, depression and anxiety are pretty debilitating). Anyways, I hope OP reads my previous comment and finds the app to be helpful though! PS: Sorry for any poor grammar. English isn't my first language.

Some illnesses can be intense enough to be a disability. Their wording was fine.

I've seen legal forms that include mental illness as a disability. Is it the same as maybe Downs? Of course not. But depression and anxiety (and others) can alter how you live your life, so I think it's fair to call it such.

#24 The proper vernacular is dependant on the severity. If the depression or anxiety is debilitating and interrupts your day to day life it would be a disability.

How is it her fault that you can't afford it? If she has the money good on her..

The FML wasn't about someone having more money than OP, it was about OP not being able to afford therapy.

I think the FML is more about how it sucks that they can't afford something they really need while classmates have enough to waste it on their pets. It's nobody's fault; therapy can be ridiculously expensive.

Can you really be that dense? OP wasn't complaining about her having money, but about how sad it is that a dog can receive a therapist, while they can't.

I think it's a bit unfair to say that OP's classmate is wasting their money by spending it on therapy for her dog. Like you said therapy is expensive so it's unlikely they're giving their dog therapy for ***** and gigs. Obviously it seems a bit ridiculous to give a dog a therapist but she's clearly concerned.

ColonelCusswords 24

Oh shit, everyone grab your pipes and popcorns, it's about to get all levels of political in this bitch

Next thing you know, we'll be having therapies for plants :)

Gee, I wonder if #5 leads a money-centric life if she went straight to the cash issue and not the "I need help with my depression" issue.

I actually figured the girl might have payed a physical therapist (ie: if her dog was injured or lost a leg?) or perhaps was adopting a stray or whatever and payed/sponsored someone who works with reintegrating dogs to humans (ie: in cases of abuse) or something along those lines....I know very little about these sort of things though, so I don't even know if those jobs exist... Regardless of whether the therapy will help the dog or not, it sucks that OP will not be able to afford the help THEY need :(

I'm going to take down votes too. As I agree with Jen. I agree the OP life sucks because they can no longer afford therapy. But as soon as they bring anything someone else is doing they also deserve it. It sucks to not get something you need, but never compare to what other people can do, it's not at all the same.

No I don't have a money eccentric life. I am 18, living alone working full time. But I don't bring other people's financial statuses into my issues

Do you have a school counsellor? Or a public service/ anonymous group? If not then I'm sorry to hear that OP :( Best of luck.

OP is from the UK, so all of these services are free on the NHS. I'm not sure why she'd want to go private.

The struggle is real for a lot of people but we just gotta stay strong and stay positive and try our best to not let others get to us. Also I know what its like to lose your therapist bc you can't afford it bc its happen to me but you just gotta keep your head up.

Don't give up yet, OP. I hope you get the help you need soon :)

I'm guessing you've been before, but can you go back to your GP, and see if a proven track record of therapy helping you means you're entitled to NHS care? And if it's not standard your GP can still apply for funding to help you despite it not being the norm